Sunday, April 28, 2024

North Westwood Neighborhood Council recap – March 6

By Sharla Steinman

The North Westwood Neighborhood Council represents UCLA and Westwood to the Los Angeles City Council. The council’s meetings are held on the first Wednesday of every month at UCLA’s Weyburn Terrace and are open to the public. The next meeting is scheduled for April 3.

In the March 6 meeting, the NWWNC heard from Westwood community members and public officials who addressed issues within the district.

Comments made by public officials:

• Patricia Macias, Westwood field deputy for District 5 Councilmember Katy Yaroslavsky, said the All About Parks survey is due March 31. Yaroslavsky’s team is also working with LA Sanitation to organize more trash pickup for the end of year UCLA move-out, she added. Macias also said the Midvale and Pico housing project has been on hold due to a lawsuit and could not provide any more information. The Broxton Plaza plan to make Broxton Avenue a pedestrian-only walkway has also been made possible by a recent transfer of funds from the LA Department of Transportation to the LA General Services Department, she said.
  • Sherwin Shamoeil, a field representative from Assemblymember Rick Zbur’s office, honored four members of the NWWNC, including council President Josh Trifunovic, for five years of service and provided certificates for the entire council.
  • Janet Turner, Congressman Ted Lieu’s outreach deputy district director, said Lieu was named co-chair of the Bipartisan Taskforce on Artificial Intelligence committee Feb. 20. She added that Lieu is joining Mayor Karen Bass to support Senator Alex Padilla’s Housing for All Act, which would invest billions of federal funding into housing programs.
  • Julia Brown, UCLA’s director of community relations, said spring break begins for Bruins on March 25. She also said construction will occur from March through fall 2025 to make upgrades to UCLA’s electric power system, which will necessitate a lane closure near the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

There was no public comment.

Agenda:

• The council approved a neighborhood proposed grant of $5,000 for the LA Musical Salon, a non-profit organization that provides free music in LA, including at the Westwood Library.
  • The council also approved a $5,000 grant for UCLA’s UniCamp, an outdoor summer camp that provides experiences for more than 1,200 kids and volunteer experience for 450 UCLA students.
  • The council voted to write a community impact statement urging the city to repeal the 41.18 policy, which criminalizes sleeping or sitting on public roads or pavements. The council also voted against supporting a pending Westside Regional Alliance of Councils motion which calls for a prohibition of people sleeping in their vehicles.
  • The council also voted to write a community impact statement that opposes Council Files 15-0389-S2 and 15-0389-S1, which would grant community councils the same privileges as neighborhood councils, such as advocating for their community to the LA City Council.
  • The council also approved Councilmember Connor Webb to be the official NWWNC representative to the WRAC Mobility and Transportation committee. Councilmember Tommy Contreras was approved to be the WRAC Homelessness Committee’s official NWWNC representative. Councilmember Jacob Wasserman was approved to be NWWNC’s legal liaison.
  • The council approved the March consent calendar.

There were no council announcements.

Sharla Steinman | City and Crime Editor
Steinman is the 2023-2024 city and crime editor. She was previously a city and crime contributor. She is also a fourth-year political science student.