UCLA women’s basketball bests Utah, propels to semifinals in Pac-12 tournament

Graduate student guard Charisma Osborne pulls up for a jumper while two opponents guard her. Osborne had 12 points in the first half against Utah en route to her 16 point total. (Brandon Morquecho/Photo editor)

Women’s Basketball

No. 3 seed UCLA67
No. 6 seed Utah57

By Lauryn Olina Wang

This post was updated March 8 at 12:18 a.m.

LAS VEGAS – Utah coach Lynne Roberts implored her team to play harder and more inspired.

“I can’t do it for you,” Roberts said after her squad’s Senior Night loss to Washington last weekend.

The Utes understood the assignment come the Pac-12 tournament, battling the Bruins for every possession in the quarterfinals. 

But the basket became bigger for UCLA’s own seniors, and they had it their way.

Graduate student guard Charisma Osborne and senior forward Angela Dugalić posted 16 and 17 points, respectively, to lift No. 3 seed UCLA women’s basketball (25-5, 13-5 Pac-12) over No. 6 seed Utah (22-10, 11-7) in a 67-57 victory. With the Thursday night win, the stage is set for a crosstown showdown between rival and No. 2 seed USC on Friday evening. 

“Some people don’t like conference tournaments. I love them,” said coach Cori Close. “It’s like a dress rehearsal for the pressure and the moments you’re going to feel in the NCAA tournament.”

Osborne was automatic early, appearing immediately in her groove, akin to her 32-point Cal game last month. She went 6-of-9 for 12 points in the first half, going perfect from the field for nearly 15 minutes. The backcourt veteran and recent All-Pac-12 team selection commanded the court, calling for the ball and motioning for her teammates to set screens.

The Bruins’ anchor was hyped, clapping her way as she ran the length of the court.

But midway through the third quarter, Osborne went down with an injury. She motioned for a substitute and was treated on the sideline.

Meanwhile, UCLA earned its largest lead of the night. Sophomore guard Londynn Jones pump faked, juking her defender and squaring up for a wide-open 3-pointer. Swish. The Bruins were up 41-32 with a 50% clip from deep.

Senior forward Angela Dugalić shoots a 3-pointer. Dugalić had a team-high 17 points against the Utes on Thursday night. (Brandon Morquecho/Photo editor)

Then the shower from beyond the arc became contagious.

Utah sank back-to-back 3-pointers, displaying its versatility after guard Inês Vieira notched her third dagger from deep and forward Alissa Pili drained one from the top of the arc to bring the score to 43-39.

When Osborne returned to the court, she immediately made an imprint. She went up for another baseline jumper, good for her 14th point of the night. 

After the game, Osborne admitted pulling up on the right baseline is one of her favorite spots – to which Close said she was revealing the scout.

“Well, they can’t stop it,” Osborne replied.

Coming out of the locker room, Dugalić effectively arrived. A comparatively quiet first-half five points quickly ballooned to double-digit figures. The senior quickly matched her counterpart in Osborne. 

Calmly rising for a jumper, Dugalić reached 14 points on the make. The Oregon transfer – now in her third season at UCLA – immediately went for the denial on defense, blocking Pili’s layup attempt. 

And the UCLA contingent at the MGM Grand Arena essentially exploded upon Dugalić’s second professional-length 3-pointer. Way beyond the arc, she collected her third triple of the night. 

“My eyes were wide open,” Dugalić said. “It was just like a different feeling.”

UCLA women’s basketball celebrates on the court after its victory against Utah on Thursday night. (Brandon Morquecho/Photo editor)

With 6:48 to play, the score stood at 57-44.

Instead of buckling or succumbing down the stretch, the Bruins opened up the game.

An electric 3-point play courtesy of sophomore guard Kiki Rice – touting her own double-digit scoring performance one board shy of a double-double – all but sealed the Utes’ fate. And an ensuing deflection from Dugalić disrupted the Utah offense as UCLA maintained its double-digit advantage through the final whistle.

In the final rendition of the Pac-12 tournament, the Bruins survive and advance.

“This is going to be like an Elite Eight, Final Four-level game,” Close said. “How awesome is that? Two great teams from Southern California.”

Lauryn Olina Wang | Sports senior staff
Wang is currently a Sports senior staff writer on the women’s basketball, men’s basketball, NIL and football beats. She was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women’s basketball, men’s soccer, men’s golf and track and field beats, reporter on the women’s basketball beat and contributor on the men’s and women’s golf beats. Wang is also a fourth-year history major and community engagement and social change minor.