Thursday, May 2, 2024

Jones’ seven 3-pointers lead UCLA women’s basketball to 30-point rout over Utah

Sophomore guard Londynn Jones prepares to shoot the ball on the court. Jones had a career-high 23 points and a season-high 70% from deep against the Utes on Thursday night. (Jeremy Chen/Photo editor)

Women’s Basketball

No. 18 Utah52

By Grace Whitaker

This post was updated Feb. 22 at 9:37 p.m.

It took just 22 seconds and a 3-pointer from forward Jenna Johnson for Utah to claim the early lead on Jan. 22 – and for the eventual winner to be determined. 

One month later in Pauley Pavilion, it was just 11 seconds and one shot made from deep from sophomore guard Londynn Jones – who went on to score a career-high seven 3-pointers – for the same to be established Thursday.

Following a 23 point performance from Jones, No. 12 UCLA women’s basketball (21-5, 10-5 Pac-12) led No. 18 Utah (19-8, 9-6) from start to finish in Pauley Pavilion on Thursday by a score of 82-52. This contest occurred exactly one month after the Bruins trailed early and ultimately fell to the Utes in an overtime loss in Salt Lake City that was just their second defeat of the season. 

Coach Cori Close said heading into tonight, her goal was to limit the Utes’ percentage from beyond the arc. The Bruins were able to decrease their 3-point percentage from 46.2% the last time they played to 20% Thursday.

“That’s the biggest difference, the way that they shot the three and how many attempts they got,” Close said. “That was the biggest shift we needed to make going into this game. And then it’s just consistency.”

On Thursday, the Bruins came out of the gates swinging early. 

A 3-pointer from Jones broke the scoring seal and sophomore center Lauren Betts quickly added to it with a pair of layups. Sophomore guard Kiki Rice put her name in the mix with a layup of her own and Jones topped it off with her second make beyond the arc to bring the score to 9-0 in a matter of a minute and a half.

Betts – who scored just seven points in the two programs’ last contest – said her focus this time around was to work around the double team Utah enforces upon her.

“That’s what we worked on all week in practice, so I was really prepared for that today,” Betts said. “I struggled with that a lot the last game and the last time we played them.” 

In addition to their success on the scoreboard, the Bruins didn’t turn over the ball until the final three minutes of the quarter, while forcing their opponents to four turnovers.

The initial jolt propelled UCLA onto a 23-8 run that lasted until the last two minutes of the quarter. 

In the second however, the Bruins didn’t find success to the same degree. 

UCLA went 0-for-4 from behind the arc throughout the entirety of the second quarter and just 33.3% from the field, scoring 14 points compared to its 25 in the first. To the Bruins’ advantage, the Utes also didn’t collect a single 3-pointer and boasted a field goal percentage of 30.8%. 

Luckily for the Bruins, the initial first quarter run cushioned their low scoring second. 

Sophomore center Lauren Betts rises for a layup against her opponents. Betts scored 14 points and grabbed six rebounds against the Utes. (Julia Zhou/Photo editor)

In the third, they returned to their original ways.

Jones added a make from deep. Then another, and another.

“My teammates and staff do a really good job of just pushing me,” Jones said. “Even if I do get good shots it’s just still like, ‘How were your feet? How was your shot? Keep following through.’”

The guard collected three consecutive 3-pointers in a matter of 2 1/2 minutes, inflating her 3-point percentage to 83% at one point and eventually ending the night with a season-high mark of 70%.

Betts also found her way to double-digit scoring, collecting 14 points and six rebounds in the first three frames alone. 

UCLA’s senior forward Angela Dugalić cemented a seven point, nine rebound, six assist and three steal stat line. Close said Dugalić is the team’s biggest X-factor for her ability to make an impact even when her shots aren’t dropping. 

“She didn’t really shoot the ball very well. And you know, she still found ways to make really big winning plays for us,” Close said. “And I want her to see herself as a versatile, winning player and not just a stretch four shooter.”

In the final quarter, Jones closed out a swish-riddled game with another two makes from deep. Her seven total 3-pointers were the most she’s made in a single game, and her 23 point performance was the highest-scoring game of her career.

“It really comes down to who do we want to be?” Close said. “And Londynn is our leading 3-point shooter, and so for us to learn as a team how to create easier 3’s for her, that’s an important team thing, not just a Londynn thing.”

Grace Whitaker | Sports senior staff
Whitaker is currently a senior staff writer on the football, men's basketball and women's basketball beats. She was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, women's soccer, beach volleyball and cross country beats and a contributor on the women's basketball and beach volleyball beats.