Saturday, May 4, 2024

UC Online Course: SAS 025V Global Climate Change: Convergence of Biological, Geophysical, & Social Sciences

By Camille Ray

In a world where climate change’s repercussions reverberate globally, the call for understanding and action has never been more urgent. UC Online introduces SAS 025V Global Climate Change: Convergence of Biological, Geophysical, & Social Sciences, a course that seeks to demystify the complexities of our changing environment. 

This upcoming Spring quarter, students are invited to explore the interconnected disciplines shaping our response to the formidable challenge of climate change. Dr. Bloom invites students to explore the scientific roots of climate change and their far-reaching economic, legal, and cultural implications. By examining the dynamic relationship between science and society, students gain insights that define the future approach to addressing the significant challenge of environmental disarray. With a core curriculum that integrates theoretical knowledge and practical insights, the class adopts an interdisciplinary approach to scientific studies. This approach allows students to navigate the uncharted territory of climate change and transforms Dr. Bloom’s curriculum into a compelling call to action, transcending mere academic pursuits. 

The course curriculum encompasses diverse topics, extending from the foundational aspects of climate research to climate change’s economic and cultural dimensions. Students can anticipate a deep dive into climate-forcing factors, greenhouse gas emissions, and mitigation strategies during the initial half of the quarter. As the course progresses, the focus shifts towards the practical application of these scientific foundations. Dr. Bloom channels these ideas, honing in on the broader implications of environmental law, economics, and cultural influences. This deliberate shift from theory to application underscores the course’s commitment to fostering a more comprehensive and holistic understanding of the pressing global issue. 

SAS 025V is designed to accommodate a diverse range of schedules, requiring a commitment of approximately 12 hours per week. These hours are thoughtfully distributed across various activities such as live lectures, discussions, quizzes, and exercises or essays, ensuring a balanced and immersive learning experience. Additionally, anticipate coursework to be supplemented by a free online textbook containing mandatory readings. 

The essays, typically two to three pages, cover various topics, from exploring “Climate Trends in Your Hometown” to delving into “Carbon Footprints.” You can expect five essays intricately connected to lectures and discussions, contributing to a nuanced understanding of the coursework that is both applicable and digestible, even for students with non-science backgrounds.

Dr. Bloom has taken proactive steps to address the potential impersonality of an online course structure. He has incorporated weekly discussion sections led by TAs, serving as invaluable platforms for reviewing assignments, asking questions, and engaging in meaningful dialogue. This maximizes personalized attention and creates a supportive learning community, enriching the educational experience. 

As the planet grapples with urgent climate challenges, this course empowers students with the knowledge and skills to meaningfully contribute to addressing this global issue. It transcends conventional online courses, offering an immersive, dynamic, and actionable educational experience. For those ready to enroll and become part of the solution, visit UC Online for more information and secure your spot in SAS 025V Global Climate Change: Convergence of Biological, Geophysical, & Social Sciences. 

Camille Ray