UCLA women’s basketball sophomores lead dominant performance over Arkansas

Sophomore center Lauren Betts jumps with the ball above other players. Betts garnered 20 points and 10 rebounds against Arkansas. (Shane Yu/Daily Bruin staff)

Women’s Basketball

Arkansas66

By Lauryn Olina Wang

This post was updated Dec. 3 at 9:53 p.m.

Before the season began, coach Cori Close shared her sentiments on the proverbial “sophomore slump.”

“Sometimes, that sophomore slump is real because they don’t have the urgency,” Close said. “They don’t have the desperation to get better every day.”

But now in its seventh game of the season, the Bruins’ sophomore class has quelled any such concerns.

No. 2 UCLA women’s basketball (7-0) stifled Arkansas (7-2) in Fayetteville, Arkansas, on Sunday afternoon, behind a combined 60-point effort from sophomore center Lauren Betts, sophomore guards Kiki Rice and Londynn Jones, and sophomore forwards Gabriela Jaquez and Christeen Iwuala. The Bruins came away from SEC territory with an 81-66 advantage to continue their unblemished season campaign.

“I really was never really worried about that (sophomore slump) because I knew the work they were putting in behind the scenes,” Close said. “And I don’t even think they’re close to their potential.”

With seven minutes remaining, Jones sank her second 3-pointer and became the fourth Bruin – and sophomore – to reach double figures and bring the score to 77-48. 

But Arkansas wasn’t yet ready to concede. 

Within 58 seconds, a 10-point tear – including a four-point play – from guard Taliah Scott alone breathed life into the Razorbacks. Scott’s effort ignited a 15-0 run from Arkansas to cut UCLA’s lead to 14.

Betts yet again had an answer, sinking back-to-back layups to help the Bruins recalibrate and squash the comeback. Betts ultimately earned her fifth double-double of the season, scoring 20 points and grabbing 10 rebounds on a perfect 9-for-9 from the field.

“It’s human nature to want to take a deep breath when you get up 30,” Close said. “But if you want to be a champion, you’ve got to learn how to compete like it’s your last – like you don’t play to score.”

Arkansas began the afternoon with a 6-0 start while forcing two early UCLA turnovers. But consecutive layups from Betts put the Bruins on the board and helped ignite a 9-0 run to secure a lead they would never relinquish.

Sophomore guard Londynn Jones shoots the basketball on the court. (Brandon Morquecho/Assistant Photo editor)

In back-to-back possessions, Rice and Jones both wrestled the ball away from Samara Spencer and immediately drew the foul. The Arkansas guard, averaging the sixth-most points per game nationally, was immediately substituted out. UCLA’s defensive intensity continued to deny an opportunity for Arkansas to control the pace.

Throughout the entire first frame, Arkansas did not attempt a single mid-range jumper – every make came from an inside bucket or a perimeter look. After dominating the glass with a 17-7 advantage and adjusting to the Razorbacks’ quick four-guard scheme, the Bruins battled to a 20-14 lead by the end of the first quarter.

In the second frame, Arkansas continued its inside-out strategy by attacking the basket and earning open looks from deep. Rice nearly mimicked the Razorbacks’ offensive production in back-to-back possessions, finding the bottom of the net just shy of the 3-point line and on a driving layup to bring the score to 26-19.

After a technical foul on Arkansas’ coach, UCLA kicked off a 13–0 run courtesy of a 3-pointer from redshirt junior forward Angela Dugalić and a 3-point play from Betts. With another inside bucket from Betts, the Bruins extended their lead to 39-19. Betts closed out the half with 13 points on a perfect 6-for-6 performance, helping the team reach a 53% shooting clip overall.

The Bruins were set to enter the locker room touting a 20-point advantage until a fumbled free-throw box out led to a quick outlet pass to Arkansas guard Saylor Poffenbarger. Poffenbarger squared her feet and drained the 3-point dagger with three seconds to play, bringing the score to 50-33.

UCLA continued to orchestrate the tempo in the third frame, outscoring Arkansas 22-11 and ballooning its lead to 28. The Bruins got to the line and converted from the charity stripe while benefiting from scoring contributions from six different players. The dominant quarter helped forward Amanda Muse – the lone freshman recruit – garner more minutes and experience, before the fourth-quarter Arkansas run forced Close to return to her starting lineup.

“We do need to earn more consistency,” Close said. “We haven’t put four quarters together yet. … We’re going to have a huge test next week against Florida State.”

Lauryn Olina Wang | Sports senior staff
Wang is currently a Sports senior staff writer on the women’s basketball, men’s basketball, NIL and football beats. She was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women’s basketball, men’s soccer, men’s golf and track and field beats, reporter on the women’s basketball beat and contributor on the men’s and women’s golf beats. Wang is also a fourth-year history major and community engagement and social change minor.

Frnshd room with pvt bath in prvt home, includes Drct TV, internet, util, wash/dryer use, week maid serv pool/jacuzzi gate grded, walk to UCLA, no prk or kitchen $1300 310 310-309-9999