Westwood’s Fox Village Theatre bought by coalition of Hollywood directors

Westwood’s Fox Village Theatre is pictured. The Theatre was bought Wednesday by a coalition of directors led by Jason Reitman. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Sharla Steinman

The Fox Village Theatre in Westwood was bought Wednesday by a coalition of directors led by Jason Reitman, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Reitman is a Canadian filmmaker and producer. Some of his films include “Ghostbusters: Afterlife,” “Juno,” “Thank You for Smoking,” “Up in the Air” and “Jennifer’s Body.”

The new owners of the theater include directors Christopher Nolan, Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen and Bradley Cooper, among others, according to the LA Times.

Several UCLA alumni participated in the acquisition, including Justin Lin, Gina Prince-Bythewood, Jonathan Dayton, Valerie Faris, Brad Silberling and Alexander Payne, according to the LA Times.

The Regency Village Theatre first opened in 1931 and has been on the market for over a year.

[Related: The historically iconic Westwood Fox Village Theatre is listed for sale]

Today, the theatre is most known for its single-feature showings and movie premieres that bring people from across the world to Westwood. The theater was also featured in the 2019 Quentin Tarantino film “Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood.”

Sharla Steinman | City and Crime Editor
Steinman is the 2023-2024 city and crime editor. She was previously a city and crime contributor. She is also a fourth-year political science student.