Sunday, April 28, 2024

Cast, producers reflect on “Young Sheldon” coming to an end after seven seasons

The cast and executive producers of “Young Sheldon” sit for a panel on the show’s set. The CBS sitcom will conclude its seventh and final season in May. (Courtesy of EvansVestalWard/WBTVG)

By Victoria Munck

This post was updated Feb. 21 at 8:26 p.m.

Approaching its series finale, “Young Sheldon” is set to conclude with a big bang.

A prequel to the long-running CBS hit “The Big Bang Theory,” the single-camera sitcom has found comparable success spotlighting child genius Sheldon Cooper (Iain Armitage) as he navigates his coming of age in East Texas. With the show’s seventh and final season premiering just last week, the stars and executive producers of the series invited journalists to an on-set panel for Warner Bros. Television’s 2024 TCA Press Tour. Reflecting on the decision to wrap up the show, Executive Producer Steve Holland said preexisting knowledge of Sheldon’s storyline from “The Big Bang Theory” helped inform the team’s choice to move on.

“There’s certain things we know happen in Sheldon’s life when he’s 14, as the character is this season, and we started talking about the future of the show and what it would look like,” Holland said. “We know he goes off to Caltech at 14. It felt like the right time to end the show and to end it strong while it was still on top.”

[Related: ‘Comedy first’: Showrunners of ‘Abbott Elementary’ find laughs amid the politics]

Journalists started the panel with inquiries about the new season’s most eventful details, including rumored “Doctor Who” appearances and the upcoming wedding of Mandy (Emily Osment) and Georgie (Montana Jordan). The age-gap relationship between Mandy and Sheldon’s older brother Georgie has been one of the most tumultuous plot points of the show’s later episodes, and the couple finally decided to wed near the end of season six. Jordan said he appreciated how the drama between the pair allowed Georgie’s character to mature, and the latest season will allow viewers to further understand the struggles that come with it.

With a similar sentiment of gratitude, Osment said watching Mandy grow and become an independent feminist while co-parenting with Georgie has been an exciting arc to perform. She was initially only offered one episode when she joined the show, she added, making her journey to the final season both surprising and fulfilling. Now, the couple are set to star in their own spin-off series, though Holland said the team’s current focus is to properly conclude Sheldon’s story before progressing with their own.

Another anticipated event in the final season of “Young Sheldon” is the death of Sheldon’s dad George (Lance Barber). “The Big Bang Theory” established that George died when his younger son was 14. When asked about his character’s fate, Barber jokingly feigned oblivion but later said he was ultimately proud to tackle George’s iconic history and felt prepared to bring him a beautiful end.

“I had fingers crossed from the beginning, knowing the history of the character, that I would make it to the end whenever that came,” Barber said. “I always felt I had the luxury of being emotionally prepared for this from day one. … They have a memorable thing like this happen for this character. To be remembered that way is a big deal for me.”

Preparing to say goodbye to the Cooper family, on-screen siblings Armitage, Jordan and Raegan Revord expressed sadness over departing from the show after spending years growing up together. Revord said she remembered sending Armitage video messages from her car seat when the series began, laughing that she is now learning how to drive. The group was incredibly fortunate to share such a memorable experience together, Armitage added, making it easier for him to feel thankful than sad.

“I am so sad that this has come to an end, but honestly, I could have asked for nothing better,” Armitage said. “As hard or sad as it is, it’s so important to remember that the only reason it is is because this is such a wonderful group of people that we get to work with and such a cool, crazy, weird thing we get to do.”

[Related: TV preview: Five upcoming shows to start watching this winter]

When asked about the show’s evolution from its inception nearly a decade ago, creator and Executive Producer Chuck Lorre said casting the role of Sheldon first felt like an unachievable task. If Armitage had not auditioned, the program might not have moved forward, he added. The talented ensemble of the Cooper family later blossomed around Armitage, Lorre said, contributing to a genuinely joy-filled run that is rarely experienced in the business.

With the series slated to conclude in May, creator and Executive Producer Steven Molaro said that after seven years on air, he believes the “Young Sheldon” team has achieved its goal of building a successful series that stands alone from its source material. Having worked on a wide range of hit sitcoms, Lorre said he chose to trust his instinct when determining the grand finale, and he believes the decision will be the best fit for the show.

“I don’t think you ever approach it from what the audience wants,” Lorre said. “You do what feels right. You do what feels appropriate for the characters and the relationships, the tone of the show. You do stuff that touches yourself, and then you hope someone agrees with you. … It’s best to do the things we believe in and just trust.”

Victoria Munck | Theater | film | television editor
Munck is the 2023-2024 theater | film | television editor. She was previously an Arts contributor from 2022-2023. She is a second-year communication student from Granada Hills, California.