Sunday, April 28, 2024

Sinkhole causes indefinite ramp closure on Interstate 405

A sinkhole that caused the closure of the Skirball Center Drive/Mulholland Drive off-ramp on the Interstate 405 is pictured. The sinkhole was caused by the storm earlier this month. (Courtesy of Caltrans)

By Sharla Steinman

A sinkhole has caused a closure on Interstate 405, a few miles north of the Getty Museum.

The sinkhole – which was caused by the storm earlier this month, according to a Caltrans District 7 post on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, on Monday – is located on the Skirball Center Drive/Mulholland Drive off-ramp in the Sepulveda Pass.

In a Feb. 12 post on X, Caltrans District 7 announced it would be blocking off the area to repair the sinkhole for an unknown duration, closing the off-ramp indefinitely. The ramp has been closed since then.

Drivers are encouraged to prepare for delays and to plan ahead if traveling to Skirball Center Drive/Mulholland Drive via the freeway, Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass said in a post on X on Monday.

The 405 is a major route that connects coastal communities to the greater LA region, spanning from Irvine in the south to the San Fernando Valley in the north. The interstate is also one of the most congested freeways in LA, according to a California Department of Transportation District 7 Mobility Performance Report released in 2022.

The off-ramp is closed until further notice.

Sharla Steinman | City and Crime Editor
Steinman is the 2023-2024 city and crime editor. She was previously a city and crime contributor. She is also a fourth-year political science student.