Sunday, May 12, 2024

Lindsey Horvath becomes the youngest chair of the Los Angeles Board of Supervisors

Lindsey Horvath became the youngest chair of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors Tuesday. (Courtesy of Lindsey P. Horvath)

By Sharla Steinman

This post was updated Dec. 6 at 8:53 p.m.

Los Angeles County Supervisor Lindsey Horvath, who serves the county’s third district, became the youngest chair of the County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday. 

Horvath, who is 41, first gained her position on the board in December 2022. She previously served on the West Hollywood City Council and as mayor of West Hollywood. The chair of the board, which serves as the county’s legislative body, rotates on an annual basis. 

“This is a moment for urgency. This is a moment for impatience. This is a moment for profound change,” Horvath said during her first meeting as chair. “We must march forward together and take bold steps to bridge generations and create the change that we so urgently need.” 

The third district encompasses the San Fernando Valley, the Santa Monica Mountains and the Westside of Los Angeles, which includes Westwood. 

Since coming into office, Horvath introduced LA’s emergency declaration on homelessness, renter protections for homelessness prevention and implementation steps for a comprehensive water plan in the county. 

During her first meeting in the position, she said the most pressing issue the board has to deal with is homelessness. 

“In listening to young people, I am clear that the crisis of the moment is homelessness,” she said. “From the threat of falling into homelessness because of the rising costs of rent and just living, to the reality of being unhoused while trying to go to school, and never being able to recover from the debt that piles up, the pervasiveness of homelessness in our region is a daily attack on our dream for a better future.”

Sharla Steinman | City and Crime Editor
Steinman is the 2023-2024 city and crime editor. She was previously a city and crime contributor. She is also a fourth-year political science student.