USAC recap – Oct. 24

By Alexandra Kaiser

This post was updated Oct. 29 at 8:41 p.m.

The Undergraduate Students Association Council held its fourth meeting of fall quarter Tuesday.

USAC is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings, which are open to all students, take place in person at the Bruin Viewpoint Room in Ackerman and on Zoom every Tuesday at 7 p.m. Students can find the links for meetings on the agenda posted on the USAC website or watch a livestream on the USAC Live! channel on YouTube.

Public comment:

• Jessica Sanders, a member of the California Public Interest Research Group, said the organization held its fundraising drive this week and had over 500 new members sign up.
  • Branden Bohrnsen, the vice chair of the Student Fee Advisory Committee, said one goal of the committee is to work with USAC to increase transparency. He asked USAC for an update on appointments to the committee, which currently has unfilled undergraduate student positions.

Funding:

• The council allocated $15,561 from the Contingency Programming Fund to one USAC entity and 32 non-USAC entities.
  • The council allocated $4,308 from the Supplemental Fund for Service to two USAC entities and two non-USAC entities.
  • The council allocated $1,185 from the Student Wellness Programming Fund to three non-USAC entities.
  • The council allocated $1,153.47 from The Green Initiative Fund to one USAC entity and two non-USAC entities.
  • The council allocated $3,255 from the Travel Grant Mini Fund to five entities.

Special Presentations:

• Desiree Eshraghi, a co-director of the Student Wellness Commission Student Education and Research of Contemporary Health, presented about the organization, including its focus on social, mental and physical health. She also presented about the events the organization hosts and the research it conducts.

Appointments:

• The council appointed Akilah Beatty, a third-year marine biology student, to the Campus Programs Committee.
  • The council appointed David Ramirez, a fourth-year geography and environmental studies student, to the UC Student Association as a nonvoting member.
  • The council appointed Meagan Harmon, a fourth-year English student, to the Campus Retention Committee.
  • The council appointed Steven Michael Kenso Price, a third-year physiology student, to the John Wooden Center Board of Governors.
  • The council appointed Bethany Tong, a second-year business economics student, as the USAC Finance Committee vice chair.

Officer Reports:

• President Naomi Hammonds said she attended the Community Programs Office’s open house and met with new students.
  • Internal Vice President Megan Law said she attended the Sepulveda Transit Corridor town hall to learn updates about the project.
  • External Vice President Eva Jussim said her office is scheduling meetings with district offices in Los Angeles. She added that Representative Ted Lieu, whose district includes the UCLA campus, will answer questions from the UCLA community on campus Nov. 8. Jussim also said her office is planning Know Your Rights workshops for student workers.
  • General Representative Katie Pool said she encourages people to attend the UCLA football game Saturday. Her other officer reports were on the written report, which was not accessible.
  • General Representative Gabrielle Lasry said in her written report that she met with Commuter Support and Programs to discuss a grant to help pay for students’ winter parking permit. She added that her office is working on a resume workshop for first-generation students and planning to host self-defense classes.
  • General Representative Jonathan Valenzuela Mejia said he is organizing a career fair with the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities. He added that his office is scheduling meetings with Latino student leaders to discuss the university’s goal of becoming a Hispanic-Serving Institution.
  • Academic Affairs Commissioner Sujana Sridhar said she reserved space and finalized vendors for Midterm Stress Relief Week. She added that her office was able to recover $34,000 that had not been correctly allocated to the AAC budget.
  • Campus Events Commissioner Mason Miller said he is working with Goldenvoice, a concert ticket company, to arrange concert ticket giveaways for students.
  • Community Service Commissioner Chia Ying Wong said she created a list of informational resources regarding the war in Israel and the Gaza Strip. She added in her written report that she attended the launch of the Civil Learning and Democratic Engagement Network, which will help students connect with opportunities for civic engagement.
  • Cultural Affairs Commissioner Alicia Verdugo said in her written report that she is working with the American Indian Student Association to host a Native expressions event.
  • Facilities Commissioner Evan Curran said his office met with Liz Kennedy, the director of ethical labor and sustainability for UCLA Trademarks and Licensing, to discuss the reusable dining ware program and potential locations for the Lily Shaw Disability Cultural Center.
  • Financial Support Commissioner Sara Broukhim was not present at the meeting to give a report.
  • Student Wellness Commissioner Jennis Kang said in her written report that she is working with the Disabled Student Union, the Ashe Student Center and the Infectious Diseases Management Team to discuss COVID-19 resources.
  • Transfer Student Representative Thyra Cobbs was not present at the meeting to give a report.
  • International Student Representative Adam Tfayli said his office worked with the office of Mejia to launch Bruin Buddies, a program partnering international studies with UCLA students who live in the United States.
Alexandra Kaiser | Campus politics editor
Kaiser is the 2022-2023 campus politics editor. She was previously a News reporter and Opinion columnist. She is also a third-year communication and political science student.