USAC recap – May 17

The Undergraduate Students Association Council offices are housed in Kerckhoff Hall (pictured). The 2022-2023 officials held their first meeting on May 17. (Jeremy Chen/Daily Bruin staff)

By Sydney Scher

The Undergraduate Students Association Council approved a resolution that stands in solidarity with Pilipino students at UCLA whose families and communities were impacted by the economic and political problems of the recent presidential election in the Philippines.

USAC is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place remotely every Tuesday at 7 p.m. and are open to all students. Students can find the links for meetings on the Internal Vice President’s Facebook page or watch a livestream on the USAC Live! channel on YouTube.

Public comment:

• Clara Castronovo, the California Public Interest Research Group UCLA chapter chair, said CALPIRG is currently working on a sustainability festival that will be held in Bruin Plaza during week 10.

• Ananya Visweswaran, a University of California Divest coalition representative, said the coalition will be hosting an all day sit-in with a rally from noon to 2 p.m. outside the Meyer and Renne Luskin Conference Center on Wednesday.

Agenda:

• The council approved the minutes from its May 10 meeting.

• The council allocated $1,525 from the Student Wellness Commission to three non-USAC entities.

• The council allocated $14,567.23 from the Contingency Programming Fund to 40 non-USAC entities.

• The council allocated $965.50 from The Green Initiative Fund to five non-USAC entities.

• The council allocated $9,019.33 from the Community Service Commission to one CSC entity and eight non-CSC organizations.

• The council approved a resolution that stands in solidarity with Pilipino students at UCLA whose communities were affected by the recent election in the Philippines.

• The council approved a resolution that calls for the Academic Senate to allow hybrid access for all classes.

• The council discussed a bylaw change enabling the council, instead of the president, to form, select and approve council members for the Appointment Search Committee.

Officer reports:

• President Carl King Jr. said his office is gaining access to its professional Instagram, Twitter and Gmail accounts. He added that his office is in the process of hiring staff members.

• Internal Vice President My-Lan Le said her office is gaining access to the IVP social media, creating agendas and figuring out meeting logistics. She added that the IVP office is in the process of hiring staff members.

• External Vice President Divine-Faith Johnson said her office is meeting with the past EVP to acclimate to the new position.

• General Representative Kian Kohanteb said his office is getting access to the office’s Instagram account.

• General Representative Naomi Hammonds said her office is drafting applications for staff directors and executive staff.

• General Representative Eliana Judith Sisman said her office is addressing assistance for former foster youth at UCLA and is communicating with the Disabled Student Union.

• Academic Affairs Commissioner Daniela Anais Cortez Bravo said her office is preparing for hiring.

• Campus Events Commissioner Giovanna Boffa said her office is interviewing potential directors for CEC staff.

• Community Service Commissioner Juan Flores said his office is hiring new directors.

• Cultural Affairs Commissioner Alicia Verdugo said her office is finalizing the applications for directors and administrative directors. She also said her office is preparing for the JazzReggaeFestival, which will be held May 30 at UCLA’s Sunset Canyon Recreation Center.

• Facilities Commissioner Phoebe Chiu said her office is holding transition meetings with the previous facilities commissioner. She added that her office is working on a reusable dining utensils takeout program with Rendezvous.

• Financial Supports Commissioner Sara Broukhim said her office is focusing on hiring staff members for the office. She added that her office is working with Sisman to promote foster youth employment at UCLA.

• Student Wellness Commissioner Ana Majer said her office is focusing on hiring for the new Elections Board and committee director positions. She added that the office is meeting with the COVID-19 case management team and making recommendations for UCLA’s pandemic-related policies.

• International Student Representative Hansika Nath said her office is preparing to start its hiring process.
Sydney Scher