Saturday, May 11, 2024

Roughly 5.1 magnitude earthquake felt in Westwood

Los Angeles is pictured. The area was impacted by a roughly 5.1 magnitude earthquake with an epicenter 80 miles away.
(Daily Bruin file photo)

By Catherine Hamilton

A roughly 5.1 magnitude earthquake hit near Ojai, California, on Sunday afternoon. 

The earthquake, which was felt in Westwood and at UCLA, had an epicenter around four miles southeast of Ojai, 80 miles away from Los Angeles, according to the city of Los Angeles. At least seven aftershocks with 3.0 or higher magnitudes followed, according to the United States Geological Survey

According to the Los Angeles Almanac, this earthquake is one of the strongest since 2000, with one in 2008 reaching a magnitude of 5.5 and another in 2014 reaching 5.1. 

According to the California Earthquake Authority’s website, earthquakes between magnitudes of 5.0 and 5.9 are typically considered to be moderate, with the potential for minor damage.  

As of 3:30 p.m., no injuries or damages have been reported at UCLA relating to the earthquake. 

The earthquake came as California experiences a tropical storm – Tropical Storm Hilary – for the first time in over 80 years. 

Catherine Hamilton | News editor
Hamilton is the 2023-2024 News editor and a Copy staff member. She was previously the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor and a national news contributor. She is also a third-year gender studies and political science student minoring in professional writing.