Crimewatch: May 2023

By Sharla Steinman and Lindsey Parungo

Sources: UCPD. Graphic reporting by Sharla Steinman, Daily Bruin contributor. Interactive by Lindsey Parungo, Data editor.

UCPD recorded 718 unique entries in its May daily crime log.

University police received 170 crime reports in May that resulted in active police cases.

Of the 170 crime reports resulting in cases, 73 were open cases, and 97 were closed or inactive as of June 2, according to a UCPD crime and fire log.

Theft and burglary was the most common category, with 79 reports resulting in cases, followed by 28 reports of drug and controlled substance, according to the log.

UCPD also recorded 548 events that did not result in active cases, with the following statuses as of June 2:

Detail handled: no report: 120

Report taken: 71

Information only: 36

Noncriminal matter: 111

Warned or advised: 35

Canceled (by any party): 38

Victim not desirous of report: 19

Referred to outside agency: 49

Unable to locate: 39

Field interviewed: 8

Courtesy report: 8

Citation issued: 0

Unfounded: 0

Of the 548 incidents not resulting in cases, eight were categorized as rape or other sex crime. UCPD categorized two events as rape reports, two as sexual battery reports and four as indecent exposure reports.

Data for this story was obtained as a public record under the Jeanne Clery Act, which requires universities to report campus crime data.

Some cases listed in this story are currently under investigation. Anyone with information can call UCPD at 310-825-1491.

Sharla Steinman | City and Crime Editor
Steinman is the 2023-2024 city and crime editor. She was previously a city and crime contributor. She is also a fourth-year political science student.
Lindsey Parungo | Data editor
Parungo is the 2022-2023 Data editor. She was previously the assistant Data editor and a developer for The Stack. She is a fourth-year financial actuarial mathematics student.