Five UCLA professors receive 2023 Guggenheim fellowships

Royce Hall is pictured. Five UCLA professors were selected this year to be awarded a fellowship from the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation to support their research across a variety of fields. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Constanza Montemayor

Five UCLA professors were selected as 2023 Guggenheim fellows.

The names of the 171 individuals selected as this year’s awardees were announced April 5 by the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. According to the Guggenheim Foundation press release, the 2023 fellows spanned across 48 academic disciplines and 24 states as well as Washington, D.C., and two Canadian provinces.

Created in 1925, the Guggenheim Foundation’s fellowships aim to support artists and scholars in their research across the range of all disciplines. Past fellows include Nobel Prize laureates, Pulitzer Prize winners and those recognized by many other international awards, according to the Guggenheim Foundation.

Selected by the Guggenheim Foundation Board of Trustees, UCLA’s awardees included Michael Berry, a professor of contemporary Chinese cultural studies and director of the UCLA Center for Chinese Studies; Scott Cummings, a legal ethics professor and founding faculty director of the UCLA Program on Legal Ethics and the Profession; Prineha Narang, a physical sciences professor; Alex Purves, a classics professor and chair of the classics department; and Michael Rothberg, an English and comparative literature professor.

“I believe that fullness in life comes from following our calling,” said Edward Hirsch, president of the Guggenheim Foundation and a 1985 fellow in poetry, in the press release. “The new class of Fellows has followed their calling to enhance all of our lives, to provide greater human knowledge and deeper understanding. We’re lucky to look to them to bring us into the future.”

Constanza Montemayor | News senior staff
Montemayor is a News senior staff reporter for the Bruin. She was previously the 2022-2023 News editor, the 2021-2022 features and student life editor, a News reporter, Photo contributor for the news beat and Arts contributor. She is also a fourth-year global studies student at UCLA.