Sunday, May 5, 2024

Dance Marathoners maintain energy, persisting into the early hours of the morning

A mix of PAC members and dedicated dancers remain standing on the floor of Pauley Pavilion in the early hours of Sunday morning. Despite the grueling nature of the 19-hour event, various marathoners cited the event’s cause and the sense of community as reasons to keep dancing. (Megan Cai/Assistant Photo editor)

By Sanjana Chadive

This post was updated April 9 at 9:05 p.m.

From energy drinks to skin care, Dance Marathon participants did whatever they could to stay awake.

As the clock crept to 1 a.m. at Dance Marathon 2023, the DJ continued to remix popular earworms – including “Bad Habit” by Steve Lacy and “Formula” by Labrinth – while a dwindling number of students grooved on the dance floor. Royce Fong, an alumnus and former member of the Pediatric AIDS Coalition, said he felt motivated to stay awake because of the noble cause that makes up the heart of Dance Marathon.

“We had a vigil earlier where some of the speakers from Camp Laurel came and told their stories and what they’ve gone through and why they continue to fight,” Fong said. “I thought, ‘If they continue to fight, why can’t I just dance for a couple hours to stay on my feet, dance for a good cause?’”

[Related: Heartfelt vigil shines light on HIV/AIDS community during UCLA Dance Marathon]

To remain awake, participants resorted to a variety of methods. First-year neuroscience student Karolina Dura said PAC provided them with energy gel to put on their hands and Monster energy drinks. Fong said staying hydrated was also imperative, and he did some skin care in the bathroom after a dry spell. He added that connecting with other people at the event also boosted his energy.

“Even though it’s really long, every time I get tired I think of the cause,” Fong said. “I think of the kids and what we do it for, and I’m rejuvenated with energy, and I love being out here.”

Although the number of students on the dance floor had decreased by 1:45 am, second-year human biology and society student and PAC director of operations Jayden Tan said he appreciated those who were present, as they were still supporting the cause. Dura added that everyone who was still awake genuinely wanted to be at Pauley Pavillion contributing to a positively stimulating atmosphere even in the early morning. She also said she thinks the event will only grow in excitement because of the people who were willing to be up.

As someone who was attending Dance Marathon for the very first time, Dura said she thoroughly enjoyed the experience despite being 14 hours deep into the event. She said she and her friends arrived at Pauley Pavilion at noon on Saturday and planned to stay until the final countdown. The prospect of staying up the whole night and hearing lively music made her want to go to the event again, Dura said.

Conversely, Fong said this was his fourth Dance Marathon. Because of the pandemic, he said he has witnessed the event undergo various changes in its format. Dance Marathon was entirely virtual in 2020, and last year it was held at Drake Stadium in a minimized format, lasting 13 hours, he said. Fong said witnessing Dance Marathon return to its original format at Pauley Pavillion makes him excited to see where the event goes in the future.

[Related: Dance Marathon 2023]

“I’ll be back as long as they have it, as long as they have me,” Fong said. “I feel like if I’m giving up this fight, I’m giving up on four years of work now.”

Looking forward, Fong said he hopes more students will want to attend Dance Marathon now that it has returned to Pauley Pavillion. While he acknowledged the arduous nature of the event, he said it remains one of his favorite UCLA traditions and provides participants with a rewarding experience.

“It’s a really cool experience, it’s a really good time, it’s a really good cause,” he said. “I guarantee they’ll leave satisfied, tired and with a new kind of strength and idea of your own resilience, of what you can do with other people towards a cause. I think it’s a really beautiful thing.”

Sanjana Chadive | Lifestyle editor
Chadive is the 2023-2024 lifestyle editor. She was previously an Arts staff writer from 2022-2023. She is a third-year comparative literature student from Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania.