Thursday, Dec. 1, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

UCLA administration addresses planned strike by academic student workers

Members of the United Auto Workers rally on UCLA’s campus. The academic student workers union authorized a strike that will begin on Nov. 14. (Shengfeng Chien/Daily Bruin staff)

By Catherine Hamilton

UCLA administrators addressed academic student workers’ plans for a Monday strike in a campuswide email Wednesday.

The workers’ union United Auto Workers represents around 48,000 University of California teaching assistants, student researchers and other academic workers. They voted Nov. 2 to authorize an indefinite strike calling for better working conditions and equitable wages. Those participating in the strike may choose to not work until they see improved contracts.

[Related: UC academic employees vote to strike for better working conditions, wages, housing]

The UC is still actively in negotiations with the union, the administrators said in the email, and is discussing demands such as new salary scales, medical benefits and pay increases.

The email also included frequently asked questions from students, including inquiries into exams, grade deadlines, and classes, most of which are expected to continue as scheduled.

“We recognize this strike will have a significant impact on students and we are doing all we can to mitigate any major disruptions to instruction,” the administrators said in the email. “We greatly appreciate your flexibility in these challenging circumstances.”

Catherine Hamilton | National news and higher education editor
Hamilton is the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor. She was previously a national news contributor. She is also a second-year English and political science student.
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]