Five Things: UCLA vs. Arizona State

UCLA football redshirt senior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson puts up his hands after a touchdown. (Shengfeng Chien/Daily Bruin staff)

By Sam Settleman

No. 12 UCLA football (8-1, 5-1 Pac-12) led by as much as 25 in its win over Arizona State (3-6, 2-4) in Tempe on Saturday night. Sports Editor Sam Settleman gives his five main takeaways from the Bruins’ best rushing performance in over a decade.

No Charbonnet, no problem

(Esther Ma/Daily Bruin staff)
Redshirt junior Keegan Jones takes off with the ball. (Esther Ma/Daily Bruin staff)

Dressed in full gear with a helmet on, Zach Charbonnet looked ready to go fresh off a career-best performance last weekend.

But the Bruins found out moments before kickoff that the senior running back wasn’t even going to see the field Saturday. Losing your starting running back – and one of the best in the country at that – could have proven to be a devastating blow for a run-heavy offense, but somehow UCLA rushed for over 400 yards for the first time since 2010 in Charbonnet’s absence.

While Charbonnet is often a one-man wrecking crew, Saturday was truly a running back-by-committee approach. But perhaps even that term is inaccurate, as three of the Bruins’ top four rushers against the Sun Devils aren’t even listed as running backs.

Redshirt junior wide receiver Kazmeir Allen got the start, redshirt senior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson didn’t shy away from using his legs, and even redshirt junior wide receiver Colson Yankoff got some action in the backfield. Meanwhile, redshirt junior running back Keegan Jones got more run than he has all year, picking up two touchdowns by halftime and nearly crossing the century mark rushing the ball for the first time in his career.

By the end of the third quarter Allen, Jones and Thompson-Robinson had all set career highs on the ground, with UCLA averaging an absurd 11 yards per carry.

A running back turned wide receiver turned running back once again, Allen looked explosive every time he touched the ball. And with Charbonnet out, Thompson-Robinson turned to his legs more than he has all year and found overwhelming success, picking up 120 yards on 10 carries.

In the fourth quarter, with Arizona State mounting a comeback and UCLA needing one more scoring drive to put the game out of reach, the Bruins turned to Yankoff. The former quarterback recruit ran the ball four times for 30 yards on the game-sealing drive, capped off by his first career rushing touchdown.

Between individual standout performances in the backfield and flawless blocking up front, the Bruins proved Saturday that this rushing attack is among the best in the country – with or without its all-world running back.

“I’m just a ball player”

(Esther Ma/Daily Bruin staff)
Redshirt junior wide receiver Kazmeir Allen attempts to get by an Arizona State defender. (Esther Ma/Daily Bruin staff)

Running back, wide receiver, kick returner – it doesn’t matter to Allen.

“I’m just a ball player at the end of the day,” Allen said after the game.

For much of his UCLA career, Allen has been a home-run hitter for the Bruins, a quick spark on offense but not an every-down player. While the former three-star recruit has been a starter in the slot in 2022, his performance against Arizona State begs the question of why he hasn’t been used in a more varied role all year.

Allen entered Saturday with 268 receiving yards and 66 rushing yards, good for a couple catches per game and a few snaps in the backfield. As the focal point of UCLA’s offense Saturday, Allen proved he can really be productive in any role, even with increased volume.

By halftime, Allen had notched 63 receiving yards on four catches and 43 rushing yards on four carries. It’s difficult to imagine him replicating those numbers in a half with Charbonnet in the lineup, but there’s no reason Allen can’t play that role on a more routine basis.

When Charbonnet lines up in the backfield, opposing defenses know what to expect – whether or not they can stop it. Charbonnet is a downhill runner who won’t burn your defense with pure speed, but will certainly bounce off tackles and carry defenders before being taken down. Allen provides an entirely different dimension to the blue and gold’s offense.

In the second quarter, Allen lined up in his usual position out wide in a bunch formation. Thompson-Robinson readied in an empty backfield look, but as soon as he snapped the ball, Allen came across the formation and took a shovel pass from his signal-caller. Darting through the hole opened up by the creative call, Allen took off toward the sideline on what ultimately went into the box score as a 42-yard reception.

On a standard inside zone in the third quarter – a play Charbonnet has run countless times this season – Allen used one cut to get to the next level before relying on his greatest weapon. No one could catch Allen, who jetted 75 yards to the end zone almost untouched.

Often coined “the fastest man in college football,” Allen is an offensive anomaly. He can be an every-down player, and one who should be used both in the slot and in the backfield – and everything in between.

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Deebo Samuel and Atlanta Falcons running back Cordarrelle Patterson have carved out roles in the NFL as players who can do both. Allen isn’t quite the same build as those two, but there’s ample reason to believe he can replicate that role in UCLA’s offense.

As Allen said after the game Saturday, he just needs the ball in his hands.

Effortless offense

(Esther Ma/Daily Bruin staff)
Thompson-Robinson drops back to pass. (Esther Ma/Daily Bruin staff)

On the first play from scrimmage, Thompson-Robinson threw one to the other team.

Playing on the road without Charbonnet, it looked for once like this UCLA offense could be slowed down – not poor, but not unstoppable.

But despite two turnovers and in the absence of arguably its best offensive player, the Bruins put up a season-high 50 points in Tempe. UCLA’s offense deserves to be in the conversation as one of the best units in the country.

From the eye test, the Bruins’ offense doesn’t necessarily seem electric. They don’t always rely on pure talent to score on bombs down the field or win one-on-one matchups, but they do have an answer for every look thrown at them. Put simply, the offense is consistently unstoppable.

UCLA will have a 16-play, 90-yard touchdown drive and follow it up only two possessions later with a one-play, 75-yard scoring drive.

After Thompson-Robinson’s opening-drive interception, the Bruins put up touchdowns on six of their next seven drives. UCLA punted just once Saturday, and has punted just five times over its last three games.

With coach Chip Kelly and Thompson-Robinson at the helm, UCLA has flown under the radar as one of the most productive offensive units in the country.

Demanding more from the defense

(Esther Ma/Daily Bruin staff)
Members of UCLA’s defense run off the field. (Esther Ma/Daily Bruin staff)

If not for its offensive explosion, though, UCLA could’ve easily lost this game.

Arizona State seemingly moved the ball at will against the blue and gold’s defense, especially through the air, putting up nearly 500 yards of offense primarily courtesy of a 349-yard passing night from quarterback Trenton Bourguet in only his third career start.

More specifically, though, the Bruins struggled to stop the Sun Devils in the red zone. UCLA entered the weekend as one of the worst red-zone defenses in the country, giving up scores on over 91% of opposing red-zone trips. Saturday was no different, as Arizona State scored on its first six red-zone opportunities.

An interception in the end zone in the final moments of the fourth quarter by redshirt freshman defensive back Jaylin Davies made the stats look a little more favorable for UCLA, but this defense still hasn’t answered all the questions.

The Bruins’ offense could survive – and evidently thrive – with some pieces missing, but it’s unlikely the same could be said for the defense.

Crosstown collision course

(Shengfeng Chien/Daily Bruin staff)
Thompson-Robinson celebrates after a touchdown. (Shengfeng Chien/Daily Bruin staff)

With UCLA and USC both winning once again Saturday, the Bruins and Trojans are one step closer to a matchup for the ages.

Both teams will be favored to move to 9-1 in week 10, setting up a top-10 matchup that will rank as one of the most highly anticipated crosstown showdowns in the history of the rivalry.

If both teams enter that game 9-1, “College GameDay” will almost assuredly make another trip to Westwood, the winner would likely earn a trip to the Pac-12 championship and the victor would also legitimately enter the College Football Playoff conversation.

Given the current state of the two programs, UCLA arguably holds the edge in that game. This won’t be a repeat of 2021’s blowout win for the Bruins, but this USC defense looks much the same, especially after giving up 35 points to California on Saturday.

The same could be said about the Bruins’ defense, but while the CFP rankings currently favor USC over UCLA, the blue and gold have put together a far better resume through nine games.

No matter what, Nov. 19 is gearing up to be one of the biggest moments of the century for the Bruins.

Sam Settleman | Sports editor
Settleman was the 2022-2023 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and gymnastics beats. He was previously an assistant editor on the gymnastics, women's soccer, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the gymnastics and women's water polo beats.