UCLA women’s soccer continues Pac-12 play at home against Arizona, Arizona State

Freshman midfielder Sofia Cook maneuvers the ball past her opponent. Cook collected her fourth collegiate goal Sunday in the Bruins’ victory over Oregon State. (Shengfeng Chien/Daily Bruin staff)

Women's Soccer

Arizona State
Thursday, 7 p.m.

Wallis Annenberg Stadium
Pac-12 Insider
Arizona
Sunday, 2 p.m.

Wallis Annenberg Stadium
Pac-12 Networks

By Cecilia Schmitz

The Bruins are set to defend their undefeated record against a pair of schools from the Grand Canyon State to continue Pac-12 play.

Following a 2-0 weekend in Oregon, No. 1 UCLA women’s soccer (11-0, 3-0 Pac-12) is returning home to Westwood. The blue and gold will take on Arizona State (6-1-2, 2-1) on Thursday and Arizona (3-5-2, 0-3) on Sunday at Wallis Annenberg Stadium.

After her team’s victories in Oregon last weekend, coach Margueritte Aozasa said the Bruins’ focus has been on improving their defense.

“Looking back, I think we still could have been better defensively – just a little more disciplined, a little sharper, getting into our spots quicker,” Aozasa said. “There were plenty of moments both today (Sunday) and Thursday that we either made the wrong read or we weren’t very clean.”

Last year, the blue and gold swept Arizona and Arizona State on the road by scores of 2-1 and 4-3, respectively.

Junior forward Reilyn Turner – who holds six goals this season and collected a hat trick last weekend – said the Bruins prioritize the team’s growth over their individual goals.

“We have a good camaraderie on the team where, if we see someone struggling, we build them up again,” Turner said.

Freshman midfielder Sofia Cook also contributed to the Bruins’ 5-0 victory over the Beavers on Sunday with a header created by a free kick. Now with four collegiate goals under her belt, Cook said she credits her teammates’ help in goal scoring.

“It’s due to all the hard work I do, and I also have my team able to assist me,” Cook said. “So it’s just awesome for myself, and then thanks to my team, too.”

This weekend will mark the third week of conference play and one step closer to the NCAA tournament. Turner said with that in mind, UCLA is approaching the two upcoming matches with a focus on being present.

“It’s just really taking it game by game, focusing on that game coming up and not focusing on what could happen weeks or months from now,” Turner said. “That’s really important because we focus our energy into our next battle.”

Aozasa acknowledged that while the team’s mentality remains unchanged since the start of the season, the stakes become higher as the competition progresses.

“Every game we’ve played so far, we’ve played with our professionalism and respect to the game, hopefully, so that doesn’t doesn’t change in conference,” Aozasa said. “But we do know in conference, every single point counts. So there is a little bit of that added pressure.”

UCLA continues its Pac-12 slate this weekend, kicking off against Arizona State on Thursday at 7 p.m and Arizona on Sunday at 2 p.m.

Cecilia Schmitz | Assistant Sports editor
Schmitz is a 2023-2024 assistant Sports editor on the women’s soccer, beach volleyball, women’s golf and cross country beats. She was previously a contributor on the women’s soccer and beach volleyball beats and a staffer for the Outreach section. She is also a third-year political science and communication student.