Friday, Dec. 2, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

Crimewatch: Aug. 16-31, 2022

By Benjamin Apsley and Lindsey Parungo

UCPD recorded 284 unique entries in its Aug. 16 to Aug. 31 daily crime log.

Sources: UCPD. Graphic reporting by Benjamin Apsley, city and crime editor. Interactive by Lindsey Parungo, Data editor.

University police received 56 crime reports from Aug. 16 to 31 that resulted in active police cases.

Of the 56 crime reports resulting in cases, 37 were open cases and 19 were closed or inactive as of Sept. 2, according to a UCPD crime and fire log.

Theft and burglary was the most common category, with 26 reports resulting in cases, followed by eight reports of drug and controlled substance, according to the log.

UCPD also recorded 228 events that did not result in active cases, with the following statuses as of Sept. 2:

Detail handled: no report: 64

Report taken: 33

Information only: 15

Noncriminal matter: 28

Warned or advised: 9

Canceled (by any party): 32

Victim not desirous of report: 5

Referred to outside agency: 20

Unable to locate: 8

Field interviewed: 10

Courtesy report: 2

Citation issued: 0

Unfounded: 1

Of the 228 incidents not resulting in cases, four were categorized as rape or other sex crime. UCPD categorized two events as rape reports, zero as sexual battery reports and two as indecent exposure reports.

Data for this story was obtained as a public record under the Clery Act, which requires universities to report campus crime data.

Benjamin Apsley
Lindsey Parungo | Data editor
Parungo is the 2022-2023 Data editor. She was previously the assistant Data editor and a developer for The Stack. She is a fourth-year financial actuarial mathematics student.
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]