Senior signoff: Women’s basketball player Natalie Chou expresses gratitude for UCLA journey

UCLA women’s basketball graduate student guard Natalie Chou puts up a shot in Pauley Pavilion. Chou transferred from Baylor in 2018. (Jeremy Chen/Assistant Photo editor)

By Natalie Chou

Basketball season has been over for a couple of months now. I finished all of my classes in winter quarter. And graduation is in two weeks.

It feels like there is no better time to reflect on my time at UCLA for the last four years.

The people.

Everyone – from my coaches, the staff, my teammates and my classmates to the fans – has become my family in the last few years. I have been lucky to see the similar smiling faces of people who I have come to respect and admire every day.

I will miss my teammates the most. The inside jokes, the endless memories we made in the locker room, the training room, in practice, on the court. We came together as individuals because of our passion for basketball. We stayed together as a family because of our love and respect for each other.

I will miss practicing in Pauley Pavilion every morning. Getting ready for practice has become a systematic and soothing routine for me. For a 9 a.m. practice, my alarm would go off at 7:15. After snoozing it at least three times, I get up and prepare to head out of my apartment to Mo Ostin, our practice facility. I usually scootered to campus. With the cool morning air and the chance of getting run over by a car, my nervous system is full-go by the time I make it to the practice facility. Upon arrival, I would go straight to the nutrition center to pick up my smoothie and bagel. And then I would get ready for practice. This mindless system has been my morning routine for the last four years. It’s become something I look forward to, and I will miss it.

The place.

Los Angeles is one of the best cities in the world. Having the opportunity to explore and adventure around has been one of my favorite things. From coffee shop hopping and trying to find the best iced mocha to the late-night drives around Sunset and the Hollywood Hills – there was always something fun to do, and I was rarely ever bored.

I will miss leaving my apartment and walking into Westwood to see a movie premiere happening at the Fox Theatre. I’ll miss my favorite go-to food places so conveniently close to where I stay – Espresso Profeta for an iced mocha, House of Meatballs before every game day, Northern Cafe for a taste of home, and Sharetea for a boba fix. I will miss walking aimlessly through the aisles of Target just for the vibes and picking up the newest TikTok food trend at Trader Joe’s. The exciting buzz of Westwood was consistent and always brought great company.

I will miss the beautiful campus and all of my coveted nap stops – the hill next to Janss Steps, the shaded pews in Royce Hall, the grassy areas around the sculpture garden, the eating booths in Ackerman, the Mo Ostin locker room, and the fishbowl in the coaches’ office. Campus was a safe space for me. I felt comfortable wherever I went and felt right at home.

I have been so lucky the last four years to call LA my home.

The culture.

Thinking back, the main thing that drew me to UCLA was the culture.

The culture at UCLA has molded me into the woman I am today – who I know that my younger self would be very proud of and happy to be. This culture has allowed me to make mistakes and grow from them. To find my voice and give me confidence in every identity that I am. Coach Cori always says, “The two most important things each of us will take away from these four years are one, who you impact, and two, who you become.” Throughout my time at UCLA, I recognized that my mission for that season of life was to inspire and encourage the next generation of young Asian girls and boys to relentlessly pursue their own dreams and goals. Seeing young Asian girls and boys at our games was one of my favorite things.

My time at UCLA has been by far my favorite. Not because it was all butterflies and rainbows but because it wasn’t. It was through the valleys and the tough times that I really grew as a person.

From having an identity crisis my first year here to exploring the whole person that I am. From struggling with anxiety to feeling peace and joy.

From feeling powerless to finding my voice and sharing my experiences with the world. I know that the Natalie who stepped onto campus four years ago would be very proud of the Natalie that is now. And that is all thanks to UCLA.

Thank you, UCLA.

Chou played for UCLA women’s basketball from 2019-2022 after transferring from Baylor.

Natalie Chou