Senior signoff: Holly Azevedo celebrates 5-year journey with UCLA softball as student-athlete

UCLA softball redshirt senior pitcher Holly Azevedo winds up for a pitch. Azevedo is graduating from the program as a 2019 national champion and the 18th pitcher in team history to reach 50 wins. (David Rimer/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Holly Azevedo

As I reflect upon my last five years at UCLA, I reminisce on my journey as a full-time student-athlete. Having the opportunity to attend the No. 1 public university for both undergrad and graduate school, play for the winningest softball program in the history of the sport and win two Pac-12 titles and an NCAA championship in 2019, it has been such a privilege to be a part of something bigger than myself. UCLA has challenged me in every avenue, whether it be on the field or in the classroom, and I would not have changed it for the world looking back on it.

You hear about UCLA’s legendary reputation for academics and athletics, but now, experiencing what it was like to have the best of both worlds, I’m blessed to be surrounded by like-minded individuals, champions, world-class professors, a diverse community and the next generation of doctors, politicians, educators and other important roles society needs to fill in the upcoming years.

I didn’t realize it then, but coming in as a freshman, I had no idea that the following five years would change my life in the greatest of ways. Although each year has posed ups and downs, each stage of this journey has created room for growth. From moving away for college and relying on a whole new support system to managing the workload of being a full-time student-athlete, I have such an appreciation for all the life skills I have gained along the way. A lot of the time, it is easy for someone looking from the outside in to judge us for only being focused on our sport, but in reality, being a student-athlete at UCLA has taught me the importance of time management, teamwork, communication skills with all personality types, prioritization, networking skills, etc.

My time here has been filled with special memories, yet I cannot help but recognize all the emotions that have gone into these past five years. I would be kidding myself if I were to say this journey has been a walk in the park. The game of softball is funny. We fail more times than we achieve our personal goals, which means a lot of our time is spent maneuvering failure and managing lingering doubts about our game. These emotional highs and lows have created space for me to understand myself on a deeper level and create a plan for what I needed to do next in order to be the best version of myself. From every 6 a.m. lift to 60-plus games in a season, having teammates that stood by me through the grind made each early morning worth waking up to. With that said, having spent countless hours with these girls, I can confidently say they’re family to me, and I will truly miss every moment shared with them.

Lastly, I wouldn’t be the woman I am today without the staff that guided me through each step. The help I received has never been taken for granted and will be something I look back on that got me to where I am today. It’s not an easy path, but UCLA has always been intentional about setting each athlete up for success. On top of that, having now spent five years immersed in the softball program, one of the things I appreciated the most was the active pursuit of creating strong female leaders on and off the field. Every ounce of support received from my coaches, teammates, staff, friends and family has taught me the importance of community and that this journey is not meant to be walked alone.

As this chapter of my life concludes, this has definitely been a hard “goodbye” coming. UCLA has provided me with an abundance of memories that I will continuously look back on and smile. There has been nothing better than winning a national championship alongside friends that’ll last a lifetime. I am forever a Bruin, and I will always be honored that I had the opportunity to represent the four letters across my chest. This chapter holds a special place in my heart, and if I had to offer any advice to future incoming Bruins, it would be to soak up every single moment. These years go by fast, and once you’re a senior, you’ll only look back and remember the memories you made with those beside you.

Go Bruins!

Love, Holly Azevedo #4

Azevedo played for UCLA softball from 2018-2022.

Holly Azevedo