Den Pass holders call for compensation in light of game cancellations

The inside of Pauley Pavilion sits empty. Some students are calling on UCLA to provide partial refunds for Den Pass holders, expressing frustration over COVID-19 protocols that have led to basketball game cancellations and line mismanagement. (Anika Chakrabarti/Assistant Photo editor)

By Shaanth Kodialam

Some UCLA Den Pass holders are calling for compensation because of basketball game cancellations, COVID-19 and line mismanagement.

The Den Pass offers access to all home UCLA football and men’s basketball regular-season home games, postseason ticket priority, an exclusive T-shirt and other benefits for $149 until July 1 and $169 after that date, according to UCLA Athletics.

During the first three weeks of winter quarter, men’s basketball games in Pauley Pavilion were held without fans because of the COVID-19 omicron variant, and multiple games were canceled outright.

UCLA Athletics announced Friday that fans are now allowed to attend indoor sporting events.

“Starting tonight, all fans are once again welcome to attend indoor competitions on campus,” UCLA Athletics said in a written statement Friday.

UCLA Athletics added that spectators must continue to comply with face mask regulations and that failure to do so could result in future games being held without fans.

Some students said games held with fans have also been more difficult for Den Pass holders to attend this season as well, with limited seats allocated for Den Pass holders and longer waits.

Adam Toubian, a fourth-year bioengineering student, said the Den Pass was advertised as the only way to get into all of the games, but he was misled to believe that this would enable him to attend all of them.

“That’s what was told to us when we were purchasing the pass,” Toubian said. “I was under the impression that I would get into every game.”

Admission to sporting events is on a first-come, first-served, limited basis for students, and Den Passes do not guarantee entry for men’s basketball games, according to the UCLA Athletics website. Many students bought their Den Passes before the start of the school year when this disclaimer was not yet displayed on the website.

Den Pass holders continued to face challenges as students lined up for the Nov. 12 game against Villanova. Some students showed up as early as 4 a.m. in hopes of securing a spot in the student section.

A large mob formed outside Pauley Pavilion at the Nov. 12 game against Villanova, where many students also expressed concern about long lines and cutting.

The Nov. 12 game against Villanova ignited a call for refunds and redress among many. Toubian said he and his friends were among the first 100 people in line and were still not able to get in because of the mismanaged line to enter.

[Related: Students fear for safety, express concern over conditions to enter Pauley Pavilion]

“Everyone who was with me that day of the Villanova game were just livid,” Toubian said, “They’re all looking to get at least something in return because we really did wait all day for that game and just wasted the whole day.”

Toubian said that after the Villanova game, he reached out to UCLA Athletics on Twitter to ask about compensation because of his experience in the line but received no response.

Toubian said he was able to get in touch with Derrick Doolittle, the associate athletic director for facilities, operations, and capital projects, at the Nov. 15 game against Long Beach State. He added that Doolittle told him that while he was not able to disclose what it was, something was being done to address Den Pass holders’ concerns.

https://twitter.com/MartinJarmond/status/1459627806753574913?s=20

Gabby Aung, a first-year business economics student, said longer lines to get into UCLA basketball games have made it difficult for students with busy schedules to attend games. She added that even before the COVID-19 cancellations, challenges with managing lines at basketball games this year caused many to feel that they did not receive the full benefits of the Den Pass.

Aung said that even before cancellations, the lack of guaranteed space for Den Pass holders at games was an issue this year for many students. She added that some students needed to go to class and could not wait hours in line to enter.

Aung added that these recent challenges are also affecting students’ inclination to purchase Den Passes in the future. Aung also said that she could see many people not seeing the value of the pass in the future.

“For some people, it’s just really not a good investment,” Aung said. “If they continue cancellations like this, I feel like more people wouldn’t be as inclined to get the pass.”

Aung said the university should consider refunds for Den Pass holders, as it had recently authorized similar refunds for UCLA Housing residents. She also said she would be interested in a discount for a future year’s Den Pass.

Scott Markley, the senior associate director of communications of UCLA Athletics, said in an emailed statement that UCLA Athletics would determine what, if any, credit or refund is to be provided for games that are canceled or held without fans after the end of the season.

UCLA men’s and women’s basketball season ticket holders will receive a credit to their account for games held without fans, while single-game ticket purchases for indoor events will be refunded, according to UCLA Athletics.

Toubian said that compensation should be available regardless of the possible effects of COVID-19 on athletics throughout the season.

“Wouldn’t a reasonable person assume that if … you’re not able to use the Den Pass, you should be refunded for that percentage of the Den Pass?” Toubian said.

Shaanth Kodialam | News senior staff
Kodialam is a News senior staff reporter for the Bruin. They were previously the 2022-2023 features and student life editor and a 2021-2022 News reporter for national news and higher education and features and student life. They are a third-year communication and geography student.