LAPD discusses crime, safety with Westwood Village business representatives

The Westwood Village Improvement Association co-hosted a crime and safety meeting for business representatives and stakeholders with the LAPD. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Justin Jung

The Westwood Village Improvement Association held a virtual merchant meeting Tuesday with the LAPD to discuss crime and safety.

Local business representatives, stakeholders and WVIA executive director Andrew Thomas attended the meeting.

The Tuesday meeting followed a citywide tactical alert issued by the police department on Nov. 26 due to multiple smash-and-grab robberies around the city, according to the Los Angeles Times.

[Related: Crimewatch: November 2021]

LAPD representatives James Allen, Scott Alpert and Jonathan Tom delivered a presentation on crime and safety in Westwood Village.

Robberies and burglaries rose by 2.9% and 3.6%, respectively, over last year in the area, indicating the Village is not currently a major target, they said. However, major retailers such as 7-Eleven, CVS Pharmacy and Trader Joe’s may be a target for burglaries, they added.

Store owners should not place expensive items unlocked near the exits and may use video surveillance cameras to deter crime, Tom said. Signs advising shoppers that they are being filmed and televisions broadcasting filming may also improve their effectiveness, he added.

Tom also said higher quality video cameras may be a wise investment, as lower quality cameras may not allow for a suspect or their vehicle’s license plate to be captured, especially during the night. Positioning cameras at exits and on streets where individuals may enter, leave or park their car may also be effective, Tom added.

Stores selling expensive items should secure such items during nighttime closing hours, since most smash-and-grab robberies target the front of the store, Tom said.

Tom also advised owners to clarify expectations for employees in the event of a burglary and that employees should surrender material goods for their own safety to minimize risk and harm to workers.

Tom said that the LAPD may consider placing a decoy vehicle in the Village to deter crime and that it has been working with UCPD on additional patrols through the Village.

Justin Jung | News senior staff
Jung is a senior staff reporter and a photographer for the Bruin. He was a 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics and city and crime beats. Jung was also the 2020-2021 assistant Enterprise editor. Jung is a fourth-year global studies student.