Friday, Jan. 28, 2022

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLASundance 2022

Crimewatch: November 2021

By Justin Jung and Laurel Woods

Editor’s note: The crimewatch map omitted two reported incidents for which the locations were unclear.

UCPD recorded 558 unique entries in its November daily crime log.

Sources: UCPD. Graphic reporting by Justin Jung, city and crime editor. Interactive by Laurel Woods, Data editor.

University police received 110 crime reports in November that resulted in active police cases.

Of the 110 crime reports resulting in cases, 51 were open cases and 59 were closed or inactive as of Dec. 1, according to a UCPD crime and fire log.

Theft and burglary was the most commonly reported category, with 51 reports resulting in police cases. Trespassing and traffic or vehicular reports were equally second-most common, with 11 per category.

Two reports resulting in open cases were listed as investigations with location data withheld from the public.

UCPD also recorded 448 events that did not result in active cases, with the following statuses as of Dec. 1:

Detail handled: no report: 96

Report taken: 57

Information only: 40

Non-criminal matter: 92

Warned or advised: 14

Canceled (by any party): 46

Victim not desirous of report: 25

Referred to outside agency: 37

Unable to locate: 30

Field interviewed: 7

Courtesy report: 3

Citation issued: 1

Of the 448 incidents not resulting in cases, 10 were categorized as rape or other sex crime. UCPD categorized six events as rape reports, three as sexual battery reports and one as indecent exposure.

Data for this story was obtained as a public record under the Jeanne Clery Act, which requires universities to report campus crime data.

Some cases listed in this story are currently under investigation. Anyone with information can call UCPD at 310-825-1491.

Justin Jung | City and crime editor
Jung is the 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the city and crime beat and was previously the assistant Enterprise editor. He is also a photographer and Copy contributor for the Daily Bruin. Jung is a third-year global studies and geography student.
Laurel Woods | Data editor
Woods is the 2021-2022 Data editor. She is also a fourth-year cognitive science student.
Help Wanted

Marketing intern wanted (paid)
Must be a senior majoring in marketing or similar (or a graduate student in a similar field)
Looking for someone to generate and execute a marketing plan to promote a mental health practice and new annex via both social media and traditional PR outlets
Position will pay $25/hour and intern will keep track of hours and submit a timesheet for payment
Contact David Buik @ [email protected]