Sunday, Dec. 4, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

Students light fire in celebration of UCLA football’s win over USC

Individuals burned boxes and other debris (pictured) on Roebling Avenue after UCLA football’s record-breaking victory against USC earlier that Saturday. (Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Justin Jung

Correction: The original version of this article incorrectly stated that a fire was started around 11 p.m. In fact, it was started around 10 p.m.

This post was updated Nov. 23 at 4:14 p.m.

A block party on Roebling Avenue started two fires late Saturday night following UCLA football’s first defeat of crosstown rival USC since 2018, marking the fifth Roebling block party in 2021.

At around 10 p.m., several individuals lit cardboard boxes, debris and furniture ablaze.

Police officers and firefighters responded, putting the fire out by midnight.

The fires on Saturday followed the Roebling block party on Oct. 2 that saw thousands of unmasked attendees start two fires.

[Related: Roebling block party sees multiple blazes as firefighters, law enforcement respond]

In late March and early April, partiers on Roebling Avenue started multiple fires following UCLA men’s basketball’s victory in the Elite Eight and loss in the Final Four of the NCAA tournament, respectively.

Students also started a fire at a block party on June 11, celebrating the end of the 2020-2021 academic year.

Justin Jung | News senior staff
Jung is a senior staff reporter and a photographer for the Bruin. He was a 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics and city and crime beats. Jung was also the 2020-2021 assistant Enterprise editor. Jung is a third-year global studies and geography student.
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]