Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2021

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLACampus Safety

Former UCLA faculty member Guido Imbens earns Nobel Prize in economic sciences

Former UCLA faculty member Guido Imbens was presented with a 2021 Nobel Memorial Prize in economic sciences Monday for his contributions to understanding the labor market and causal relationships. (Esther Li/Daily Bruin staff)

By Constanza Montemayor

This post was updated Oct. 13 at 11:26 p.m.

Former UCLA faculty member Guido Imbens won the 2021 Nobel Memorial Prize in economic sciences Monday.

Imbens, a current Stanford professor, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor Joshua Angrist were presented half the award for their contributions to understanding the labor market and causal relationships, according to the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. The other half of the award was presented to David Card, a UC Berkeley professor.

Imbens was a faculty member at UCLA from 1997 to 2001. He is now a professor of applied econometrics and economics at Stanford University, and he was also a professor at UC Berkeley from 2002 to 2006 and a Harvard professor from 1990 to 1997 and 2006 to 2012.

In the 1990s, Imbens and Angrist released an influential study outlining a new method to draw more precise conclusions about cause-and-effect relationships in natural experiments.

Imbens graduated from Erasmus University Rotterdam and earned an economics and econometrics graduate degree at the University of Hull in England in 1986. He also attended Brown University, where he earned a doctorate in 1991 as well as a graduate degree in 1989.

“Professor Imbens’ pioneering work in natural experiments has changed how researchers use data in economics and across the social sciences,” UCLA Chancellor Gene Block told UCLA Newsroom. “We’re exceedingly proud to have one of UCLA’s former faculty members recognized for such important work.”

Constanza Montemayor | Features and student life editor
Montemayor is currently the 2020-2021 features and student life editor. She was previously a News reporter, Photo contributor for the news beat and Arts contributor. She is also a second-year global studies student at UCLA.
Child Care Wanted

Seeking energetic, kind babysitter for 4 & 7 yr old in Pacific Palisades. Care mainly involves school pick ups, homework supervision, & after school activities. Must have a reliable car for local driving. Gas will be reimbursed. Hours are generally 2:30-6pm M-Th & 1:30-6pm Fri. Rate $20-25/hr depending on experience. Pls email [email protected] if interested.