Los Angeles to require proof of COVID-19 vaccination at most indoor businesses

A Los Angeles City Council ordinance passed Wednesday may require proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter indoor businesses starting Nov. 4, if signed by Mayor Eric Garcetti. (David Rimer/Assistant Photo editor)

By Justin Jung

Correction: The original version of this article’s headline incorrectly stated that Los Angeles County may require proof of COVID-19 vaccination at most indoor businesses. In fact, the city of Los Angeles may require proof of COVID-19 vaccination at most indoor businesses.

This post was updated Oct. 6 at 11:25 p.m.

The Los Angeles City Council approved an ordinance Wednesday that would require proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter most indoor businesses beginning Nov. 4.

The ordinance would apply to indoor restaurants, shopping centers, movie theaters, salons, gyms and many other businesses, according to the Los Angeles Times. The new rules will not go into effect unless they are signed by Mayor Eric Garcetti.

The LA Times also reported that Harrison Wollman, a spokesperson for Garcetti’s office, said the mayor plans to sign the ordinance.

The ordinance includes an exemption for customers claiming religious or medical reasons to be unvaccinated but limits these customers to outdoor facilities or showing proof of a recent negative COVID-19 test, according to the LA Times.

In LA County, as of data last updated Sept. 30, more than 77% of the population ages 12 and up have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, with about 69% fully vaccinated, according to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.

Justin Jung | News senior staff
Jung is a senior staff reporter and a photographer for the Bruin. He was a 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics and city and crime beats. Jung was also the 2020-2021 assistant Enterprise editor. Jung is a fourth-year global studies student.