Sunday, Dec. 4, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

LA Metro may restrict sidewalk, lanes until Oct. 30 as part of construction

Ongoing construction for the Los Angeles Metro is scheduled to cause traffic and sidewalk closures in Westwood until Oct. 30. (Esther Ma/Daily Bruin)

By Justin Jung

This post was updated Sept. 30 at 10:40 a.m.

Lanes and sidewalk access around Wilshire Boulevard may be restricted until Oct. 30 as construction for the Los Angeles Metro continues.

The Metro is currently working on connecting West LA with downtown and the San Fernando Valley through two construction projects, the Purple (D-Line) Extension Transit Project and the Sepulveda Transit Corridor Project. The Purple (D-Line) Extension Transit Project currently plans to complete construction of at least two new stations in Westwood, with a station located directly at UCLA.

[Related: LA Metro construction closes certain lanes on Wilshire Boulevard till Sept. 20]

From Sept. 24 to Oct. 30, the Metro is scheduled to work on piling – a preparatory step for underground construction – on Wilshire Boulevard between Westwood Boulevard and Veteran Avenue.

Lanes on Wilshire will be restricted to two westbound lanes and three eastbound lanes from Westwood Boulevard to Gayley Avenue, according to LA Metro. Wilshire may also be restricted to one lane per direction between Glendon and Veteran avenues, according to the Metro construction update. LA Metro may also put other lane restrictions into effect from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m., the update added.

The north sidewalk of Wilshire will be closed between Gayley and Veteran avenues, according to LA Metro. The north sidewalk between Gayley Avenue and Westwood Boulevard will also be closed during night work hours, LA Metro said.

Additionally, ongoing work on sewer lines in preparation for the Purple (D-Line) Extension Transit Project will restrict traffic and street parking until Oct. 8, according to LA Metro.

The traffic restrictions include southbound lanes on Gayley Avenue between Kinross and Ashton avenues, right turns from southbound Gayley to westbound Wilshire Boulevard and westbound lanes on Wilshire between Veteran Avenue and Westwood Boulevard, the Metro said.

Street parking on the southbound lane of Gayley Avenue between Kinross and Lindbrook avenues will be restricted, the Metro added.

Besides construction work, pothole investigations and utility work will require additional evening restrictions from Sept. 27 to Oct. 8, according to LA Metro.

The northbound lane of Gayley Avenue may be closed during weekday work hours between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m., the Metro said, as well as lane reductions on Wilshire to one lane per direction.

Justin Jung | News senior staff
Jung is a senior staff reporter and a photographer for the Bruin. He was a 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics and city and crime beats. Jung was also the 2020-2021 assistant Enterprise editor. Jung is a third-year global studies and geography student.
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]