LA Metro construction closes certain lanes on Wilshire Boulevard till Sept. 20

Construction for the Los Angeles Metro is expected to cause lane and crosswalk closures around the intersection of Wilshire Boulevard and Gayley Avenue until Sept. 20. (Finn Chitwood/Daily Bruin)

By Justin Jung

Multiple lanes of streets around Wilshire Boulevard may be closed until Sept. 20 because of construction for the Los Angeles Metro.

The LA Metro is currently working on two transit projects aiming to connect the Westside with downtown LA and the San Fernando Valley, including at least two new stations in Westwood.

[Related: LA Metro plans to open new stations in Westwood, considers metro stop at UCLA]

From Sept. 7 to Sept. 20, Metro contractors are scheduled to work on relocating and upgrading sewage and storm drain systems on Wilshire Boulevard and Gayley Avenue for the Purple Line Extension project, according to LA Metro.

The construction work will include saw use, demolition and trenching, and it will not affect utility service or building access, the LA Metro said. However, lanes on Wilshire between Veteran and Glendon avenues will be restricted, with some additional restrictions on Gayley Avenue between Lindbrook Drive and Ashton Avenue, according to LA Metro.

Crosswalks on Wilshire between Midvale and Gayley avenues will also be closed, and street parking may be restricted, according to the LA Metro.

The Purple Line Extension project currently aims to add two new Westwood stations by 2027, located at the West LA Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the intersection of Wilshire and Westwood boulevards.

Justin Jung | News senior staff
Jung is a senior staff reporter and a photographer for the Bruin. He was a 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics and city and crime beats. Jung was also the 2020-2021 assistant Enterprise editor. Jung is a fourth-year global studies student.