Saturday, July 31, 2021

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLABruins at the Olympics

Former student allegedly involved in Capitol riots to appear for trial in January

Christian Secor, the former UCLA student who allegedly participated in the U.S. Capitol riots Jan. 6 will appear for trial for 10 federal offenses in January. (Sakshi Joglekar/Assistant Photo editor)

By Anushka Chakrabarti

This post was updated July 5 at 6:02 p.m.

Christian Secor, the former UCLA student who allegedly participated in the U.S. Capitol riots Jan. 6, is set to appear for trial in January.

Secor appeared for a court-ordered status conference Tuesday. He had previously pleaded not guilty to all counts in March.

He is currently pending trial for 10 offenses, including disorderly conduct in a Capitol building, assaulting, resisting or impeding certain officers and aiding and abetting.

The pretrial conference and motion hearing is set for Jan. 10, more than a year after the Capitol riots.

[Related: UCLA student allegedly involved in Capitol riots to be released from custody]

Tuesday’s hearing was Secor’s first appearance in court since being released from federal custody on a $200,000 bail in March. 

Secor was set to graduate in the spring, and the court said it would allow him to finish his final exams at UCLA at the hearing in March. He studied political science at UCLA and was a member of Bruin Republicans. Secor also founded a conservative student group called America First Bruins during his time at UCLA.

[Related: Examining the rise of Christian Secor and the ‘alt-right’ movement at UCLA]

At the court hearing, Secor made an oral request to modify the conditions of his release and was directed to file a motion.

Anushka Chakrabarti | News editor
Chakrabarti is currently the 2021-2022 News editor. She was previously the 2020-2021 assistant News editor for the science and health beat, and she was a former contributor for online. She is also a third-year mathematics and economics student at UCLA.

2250 S. Beverly Glen Blvd: 1+1 & 2+2 apts available! Central A/C, private balcony, dishwasher, on-site laundry & parking. Spacious, bright & recently remodeled. Call/text 424-209-8450