North Westwood Neighborhood Council installs newly elected 2021-2023 members

The 2021-2023 North Westwood Neighborhood Council members took their elected and appointed seats Wednesday. Furkan Yalcin, an at-large stakeholder, is the council’s second full-term president. (Courtesy of Furkan Yalcin)

By Justin Jung

The 2021-2023 North Westwood Neighborhood Council took office Wednesday.

The election results for the 2021-2023 NWWNC were certified at the council meeting, and executive board positions were selected by an internal vote Wednesday. The board also selected six applicants for seven council seats that were left vacant in the election. One undergraduate student member seat remained vacant as of Wednesday.

The NWWNC represents Westwood Village, the North Village and UCLA’s geographic boundaries to the Los Angeles City Council.

The council selected two executive officers by an internal vote.

Furkan Yalcin, who was appointed as at-large stakeholder, will serve as the president.

Andrew Lewis, who was elected as general resident stakeholder, will serve as the vice president.

No council members were nominated for secretary and treasurer.

The graduate student member office was one of three contested seats in the election. Ernesto Arciniega won the single available seat. His opponent was Matthew Nolan Gray, whom the council appointed Wednesday to fill a vacant at-large stakeholder seat.

The other contested seats were the two organizational stakeholder seats. Evan Farrar and Peter Clinco won the two available seats. The third candidate, Philip Gabriel, was not appointed to a vacant seat.

Seven seats remained vacant following the election because not every available seat had a candidate running for it, including one business stakeholder, two at-large stakeholders, one university staff or administrative member, two undergraduate student members and one homeowner stakeholder.

The council appointed six individuals to fill vacant positions at its meeting. One undergraduate student member seat remained vacant.

Since the council did not select a treasurer, it tabled its nomination process for financial officers to the next council meeting in July.

The 2021-2023 NWWNC is the second full-term council elected, as the NWWNC was formed by subdividing Westwood in May 2018. An interim board served for the first year, and the 2019-2021 council was the first full-term board elected into office.

Election results:

Renter stakeholder

Erin Coutts

Vignesh Senthilkumar

General resident stakeholder

Nuha Khalfay

Andrew Lewis

Business stakeholder

Kevin Crummy

Maikel Kohanhediud

Worker stakeholder

Rachel Gonzalez

Graduate student member

Ernesto Arciniega

Faculty member

Catherine Sarkisian

Organizational stakeholder

Evan Farrar

Peter Clinco

At-large stakeholder

John Sischo

Appointments:

Business stakeholder

Josh Trifunovic

At-large stakeholder

Furkan Yalcin

Matthew Nolan Gray

University staff or administrative member

Wren Reynolds

Undergraduate student member

Sachi Cooper

Homeowner stakeholder

Flint Dille

Justin Jung | News senior staff
Jung is a senior staff reporter and a photographer for the Bruin. He was a 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics and city and crime beats. Jung was also the 2020-2021 assistant Enterprise editor. Jung is a fourth-year global studies student.