Business is blooming for alumna’s personalized flower balloon company

Alumna Shellie Wong created her flower balloon business, Flowers by Shellie, on Instagram as a creative outlet. Rather than use preset arrangements like other florists, she said the balloons are tailored to each order. (Esther Li/Daily Bruin staff)

By Austin Nguyen

Shellie Wong’s business is in bloom.

As Valentine’s Day was approaching this year, the alumna said she found a video online that taught her how to make flower balloons – a bouquet of artificial flowers placed inside an inflated balloon – and was inspired to start selling them. She initially balanced the flower balloon business with her day job, but the office work she had to do in her managerial role didn’t fit her creative desires. As a result, she said she decided to quit her job and work full time on her flower balloon business, Flowers by Shellie.

“I think I’m more of a … hands-on person … so I was basically looking for a creative outlet,” Wong said.

Initially, Wong said she had difficulty getting the craft down – her first flower balloon only lasted half a day – but she was excited to keep trying, taking pride in having a product to show to her friends and family. After her skills became more developed, she said she created her business on Instagram and titled it with her name to give her brand a personal touch. Though there was no specific aesthetic in mind when Wong was creating the page besides having the posts seem bright and happy, she said she plans to have a set color theme in the future to make her account look more organized.

[Related: FAST at UCLA refashions annual spring showcase with catwalk videos, music]

Compared with other florists, Wong said her business stands out because she tailors her balloons to each order, instead of using preset arrangements, meaning each balloon takes around two hours to make. Customers can customize the flowers inside each balloon, add on a vinyl-lettered message and ask for themed designs, she said, such as ones for Easter or Lunar New Year. One such themed request Wong said she received was from the executive assistant to the vice president of Disneyland, requesting a Disney-themed flower balloon for the theme park’s reopening.

“I was actually shocked when I received that phone call, but I was really excited … (to be involved with) Disneyland,” she said.

To expand the reach of her business, Shellie Wong said she is considering using streaming platforms like Twitch and is looking for inspiration from florists in other countries. (Esther Li/Daily Bruin staff)
To expand the reach of her business, Wong said she is considering using streaming platforms like Twitch and is looking for inspiration from florists in other countries. (Esther Li/Daily Bruin staff)

One of Wong’s first customers, Sean Yun, said he found her social media page while scrolling through Instagram for a last-minute Mother’s Day gift, which was his first time seeing a flower balloon. At the time of his order, the business was in its infancy, but he said she was still efficient and amicable throughout the ordering process – which began with an Instagram message and ended with an in-person delivery.

A former classmate of Shellie’s, Ellen Wong, also bought a flower balloon for a friend’s birthday present, having found Shellie’s Instagram through word-of-mouth. When she purchased her flower balloon, Ellen said the business had more limited options than it does now, with one possible flower balloon size and add-ons limited to lights. However, she said the purchase was still enjoyable – the lifespan of a flower balloon is longer than a regular bouquet, and the balloon’s customizability makes it more impactful as a gift.

“Just making (the flower balloon) so much more personalized, I think that’s what makes (Shellie’s product) more special,” Ellen said.

[Related: Student debuts collection of short stories exploring the effects of isolation]

As her business evolves to attract and fit the needs of more customers, Wong said one of the difficulties she faces is brainstorming new ideas to keep her page interesting. She said she looks to florists in countries such as Malaysia and Korea for creative ideas that haven’t been popularized in the United States and is also starting to work with real flowers. To increase her publicity, she said she might to turn streaming platforms like Twitch to gain more exposure.

One day, Wong said she hopes to become a supplier for florists interested in making their own flower balloons and grow her business enough to employ others in a physical shop of her own. While family members occasionally help to make her workload less taxing, she said holidays can be an overwhelming time for her business. Despite the stress, she said the thanks she receives after completing an order makes her work worthwhile.

“It’s very gratifying (to hear from customers) … and it makes me feel really good,” Wong said. “I think that’s one of the best parts (of the business).”

Austin Nguyen