UCLA administrators announce plans for remote summer session classes

UCLA extended remote instruction through summer sessions, with the exception of some classes that train students for essential workforce positions. (Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)

By Genesis Qu

This post was updated Jan. 31 at 8:30 pm.

Summer session classes at UCLA will be mostly remote because of the COVID-19 pandemic, a university administrator announced Friday.

Some courses that train students for essential workforce jobs may be held either in person or as hybrid courses, said Emily Carter, the vice provost and executive vice chancellor, in an email sent to students Friday.

Classes at UCLA have been held mostly remotely since March 2020, when COVID-19 first began spreading in Los Angeles County.

UCLA Housing will continue operating at a reduced capacity and students can start enrolling in summer classes Monday, Carter said.

UCLA is planning to return to mostly in-person classes by fall 2021. Administrators announced Monday that students will be able to receive COVID-19 vaccines at UCLA for no cost, though the university has not developed a timeline to vaccinate students as of Monday.

More than 1 million people have tested positive for COVID-19 in LA County since the start of the pandemic, according to an LA County Department of Public Health press release Thursday. More than 16,000 have died from COVID-19 in LA County, according to the press release.

Genesis Qu | Alumnus
Qu was the 2021-2022 Editor in chief. He was previously the 2020-2021 campus politics editor and a contributor for The Stack. He studied statistics and political science at UCLA.