North Westwood Neighborhood Council recap – Oct. 7

By Elizabeth Sherwood

The North Westwood Neighborhood Council is the official neighborhood council representing Westwood Village and UCLA to the Los Angeles City Council. Council meetings are open to the public and held monthly. The next meeting will be held virtually on Nov. 4.

Agenda

• Daniel Skolnick, senior planning deputy for the 5th District of Los Angeles, discussed the Westwood Specific Plan with the council members. LA City Councilmember Paul Koretz halted amendments to the plan that would allow more vacancies to be filled in Westwood Village. The council tabled a discussion about taking further action to amend the plan as well as the potential creation of a consistent system for granting alcoholic beverage permits in Westwood.

• California Assemblymember Sydney Kamlager shared a list of bills passed by California Gov. Gavin Newsom this year that will impact Los Angeles with the council. The list included an eviction moratorium bill, an amendment to the California Family Rights Act allowing workers to request up to 12 weeks off work per 12-month period to care for a sick family member and a bill banning the sale of flavored tobacco products.

• Kamlager also shared with the council the list of funds the California State Assembly directed to people experiencing homelessness or unemployment in California. The assembly directed nearly $1 billion to housing and homelessness assistance funds and $4.5 billion in federal assistance to supplemental unemployment benefits.

• Grayson Peters, former secretary and current vice president of the council, asked council members for volunteers to fill the position of secretary. Peters did not receive any volunteers at the time.

• The council unanimously appointed UCLA undergraduate student Angelina Quint to the board. Quint said she wants to address policies related to people who are homeless or have disabilities in Westwood.

• The council discussed potential ways to improve its social media presence and community awareness of the council. Councilmember Josh Trifunovic motioned for the outreach and communication committee to send out monthly email newsletters to businesses, stakeholders and community members in Westwood and update them on what the council does. The motion unanimously passed with one abstention.

• Peters moved that the council oppose an ordinance that would allow the LAPD to enforce fines of up to $500 for people who violate the “Safer L.A.” emergency order that requires Los Angeles residents to wear masks outside their homes when in contact or expected to be in contact with others. Peters’ motion was unanimously approved.

Elizabeth Sherwood | Assistant News editor
Sherwood is the 2020-2021 Assistant News Editor for the City & Crime beat. She was previously a contributor for National News and Higher Education. She is a second year political science and communications student and digital humanities minor at UCLA.