Coach Chris Waller: Through challenging times, Bruin Nation remains stronger together

UCLA gymnastics coach Chris Waller addressed what Bruin Nation can do to be strong together amid the coronavirus pandemic and racial injustice. (Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)

By Chris Waller

What we need from Bruin Nation right now:

Bruin Nation is a strong, influential and loving family united by our shared UCLA experience – the campus, the athletics, the clubs, the friendships. Today we are also united by our shared experience of living through COVID-19 and the social unrest caused by systemic and deadly racism.

During this challenging time, we are stronger together. We have an opportunity to come together and improve the world around us. Through dialogue, education and action, propelled by compassion and determination by our collective Bruin family, we can make a difference. Our heartbreaks and challenges are very real – feel them, acknowledge them, then decide what you can do in your power to be your best Bruin, to serve Bruin Nation and the bigger world.

Together we have an opportunity to make a difference. Together we can help each other grow through COVID-19. Together we can help to weaken prejudice and racism and expand the threads that bind us together.

Although it seems so unimportant during this time, your Bruin athletes are preparing for finals and looking to the day that they can train together to represent you in competition. In the coming weeks and months especially, your support is vital to our student-athletes. With our distanced environment ongoing, it is especially challenging to build a team and inspire one another. Let your Bruin teams know that you have their backs – follow them on social media and leave messages of encouragement.

And when we finally come back all together, be the loudest, most engaged fans there ever has been. Your enthusiasm and support make all the difference. It will let your student-athletes know their Bruin Nation is strong and beside them.

Chris Waller