Friday, April 3

More than 80% of residents leave the Hill after decision to move classes online

Over 80% of students who live on the Hill have moved out following UCLA's decision to move spring quarter online. (Daily Bruin file photo)

This post was updated March 26 at 1:33 p.m.

More than 80% of students living on the Hill have moved off campus and more are expected to trickle out, said a residential life official at an undergraduate student government meeting Tuesday.

Students moved off the Hill in droves in response to UCLA’s decision to move spring quarter online. The shift to online, prompted by the spread of COVID-19 across California, came with campus officials urging students to leave on-campus housing if it was safe for them to do so. Students were also told they could seek refunds if they chose to leave the Hill early.

The university got hit hard by the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, said Josh O’Connor, assistant director of leadership and involvement for Residential Life, who spoke at the Undergraduate Students Association Council special meeting Tuesday.

The Hill is in the process of refunding students, which will take a couple of weeks, O’Connor said.

Students who have left their dorms but left items in their rooms can call UCLA Housing to cancel their contract but will have to set up a way to remove items from their room.

UCLA plans to continue using on-campus housing primarily for students, including those who should be isolated, said Michael Deluca, assistant vice chancellor of student affairs.

UCLA has been working with the state and Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center to provide space for patients in case the medical center reaches capacity, Deluca said. However, UCLA does not plan on providing any space on the Hill for patients from the medical center.

The UCLA Guest House and other university entities, such as the Lake Arrowhead Conference Center, have suspended operations.

Follow all of our coronavirus coverage here
Assistant News editor

Chavez-Martinez is the 2019-2020 Assistant News editor for the Campus Politics beat. She was previously a reporter for the beat. Chavez-Martinez is also a second-year English major.

• Olive Hendricks

Do you like to beat the current international financial crisis 2020 due to Corona Virus and want to make $6,000 to $8,000 each and every month by working from home with your computer and internet? I’m working on this online work since a long time and now they are searching for a few serious people those who wish to work in Part Time/Full Time in Free hours without bothering present Job/Study/Business/Profession. No Experience required, no Instruction demanded. Anybody can do it – House wife ,Job person, Student or Professional. You can travel the entire world with your family and friends when the corona Virus finishes. START NOW >> yx.si/1ux

• Richard C

And here comes the hideous problem when taking things online — hackers — as the Daily Trojan story chronicles (the headline is the story link): “Zoom security measures tighten to prevent unwanted participants”.

• Toccara

Do you wish to overcome the current global economic crisis 2020 due to Corona Virus and want to make 6,000-8,000 dollars each and every month by working from home with your pc and internet?. You can earn a tons of cash through it and after day to day expenses it’s also possible to save a great amount of cash for investing also because now you can buy good business’s stock at discounted prices and later on it is possible to sell those stocks at high gains and can use some part of gains in travelling the entire world with your family and friends when the corona Virus ends. CHECK IT OUT —> bay25.com