Friday, April 3

UCLA reconsiders virtual commencement, Block offers apology

UCLA will confer with the Undergraduate Students Association Council in making its final plans for the 2020 commencement. (Daily Bruin file photo)

Chancellor Gene Block walked back on the university’s decision to hold its 2020 commencement ceremonies virtually following backlash from students.

Block announced the move to reconsider the ceremonies in an email sent to all students Thursday evening.

The university will be working with the Undergraduate Students Association Council and the Graduate Students Association to plan the celebrations, Block said.

Many students demanded that the ceremonies be delayed instead of being held virtually. USAC demanded postponement in a letter sent to Block and #postponeGrad and #uclaPostpone briefly trended on Twitter. Following the outcry, the university surveyed seniors on how commencement should be held.

Block also apologized on Twitter to students affected by the decision.

“We have heard the important voices of our students and their families, and based on those, we will step back and make a decision on commencement in consultation with students and student leaders,” Block wrote in the email.

The university moved to hold the ceremonies virtually the day prior to limit the spread of COVID-19 during the global pandemic. 

Three people in the UCLA community have tested positive for the disease, up from the two confirmed yesterday. The most recent person to test positive was another UCLA staff member who is isolating off-campus, according to a press release.

Follow all of our coronavirus coverage here
Senior staff photojournalist & news reporter

Jintak Han is a senior staff photojournalist and news reporter. He photographs anything that catches his eye and writes for the City & Crime beat. He previously served as the 2016-2017 Assistant Photo editor.

• Kara

I ordinarily earn approximately 6,000-8,000 dollars each and every 1 month on the net. It really is sufficient to definitely replace my prior jobs net earnings, precisely taking into consideration I only work around 20 hour or so per week from home. I got obviate my occupation after doing work under only one corporation for several years, I required very reliable source of income. Probably the foremost thrilling part of doing project online is that I am always home with the naughty youngsters and also spend tons of free time along with my relatives on many beautiful shores of the attractive countries. Here’s the easiest way to start ====> inatimes.co.id/1njq92

• Richard C

Everything in the vast educational field will not have a quick online remedy……and that’s even in the best of times.

• ai

please postpone it