Friday, April 3

Gov. Newsom issues new “stay at home” order in effort to slow COVID-19 spread

California Gov. Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti both issued "safer at home" orders Thursday, asking residents of their jurisdictions to stay home unless necessary. (Daily Bruin file photo)

This post was updated March 22 at 4:56 p.m.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered California residents to “stay at home” unless necessary at a Thursday press conference.

Newsom signed the order banning all public gatherings to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus in the state.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia and Pasadena Mayor Terry Tornek made similar “Safer at Home” orders for Los Angeles County, likewise telling residents to stay at home through at least April 19.

The LA County Department of Public Health also updated the county order Saturday to match the stricter statewide order, banning public and private gatherings of any size.

The governor and mayors asked that residents not leave their homes unless necessary.

“I don’t believe that the people of California need to be told through law enforcement that it’s appropriate to home isolate, protect themselves, go about the essential, essential patterns of life but do so by socially distancing themselves from others and … using their common sense,” Newsom said.

Garcetti’s order for Los Angeles, which went into effect at 11:59 p.m. Thursday, is not a lockdown measure, the mayor said. Los Angeles County residents will be able to get groceries, seek medical care and take walks around the neighborhood.

All noncritical in-person business operations must also close.

Businesses under one of the 16 federally defined critical infrastructure sectors, including hospitals, banks, groceries and news media, will be allowed to remain open through both state and county orders. Those that continue to operate must adhere to social distancing and hygiene guidelines, including providing customers with hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol.

“If we can slow the spread, we can buy days,” Garcetti said. “And when we buy those days that means that we can get ventilators. And we can get beds and kits and masks and tests, and this will save lives.”

The orders come after six Bay Area counties announced “shelter in place” orders Monday, keeping San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Mateo, Marin, Contra Costa and Alameda counties’ residents home until at least April 7.

Follow all of our coronavirus coverage here
Senior staff photojournalist & news reporter

Jintak Han is a senior staff photojournalist and news reporter. He photographs anything that catches his eye and writes for the City & Crime beat. He previously served as the 2016-2017 Assistant Photo editor.

• Richard C

From The San Diego Union-Tribune (the headline is the story link) — “More than half of Californians could become infected with coronavirus, Gov. Gavin Newsom says to Trump”.

• Kara

I habitually receive close to 6,000-8,000 dollars each 1 month using the net. It is sufficient to surely replace my earlier jobs earnings, specifically thinking about I just simply do the work about 20 hrs each and every week in a home office. I got obviate my job after doing work under only one organisation for several years, I wanted quite reliable money. Probably the foremost exciting part of doing work on the internet is that I am always home with the child and also enjoy tons of freetime along with my loved ones on various beautiful shores of the beautiful countries. Here’s the simplest way to start ===> cutit.org/YMTzD