Gov. Newsom issues new “stay at home” order in effort to slow COVID-19 spread

California Gov. Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti both issued “safer at home” orders Thursday, asking residents of their jurisdictions to stay home unless necessary. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Jintak Han

This post was updated March 22 at 4:56 p.m.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered California residents to “stay at home” unless necessary at a Thursday press conference.

Newsom signed the order banning all public gatherings to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus in the state.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia and Pasadena Mayor Terry Tornek made similar “Safer at Home” orders for Los Angeles County, likewise telling residents to stay at home through at least April 19.

The LA County Department of Public Health also updated the county order Saturday to match the stricter statewide order, banning public and private gatherings of any size.

The governor and mayors asked that residents not leave their homes unless necessary.

“I don’t believe that the people of California need to be told through law enforcement that it’s appropriate to home isolate, protect themselves, go about the essential, essential patterns of life but do so by socially distancing themselves from others and … using their common sense,” Newsom said.

Garcetti’s order for Los Angeles, which went into effect at 11:59 p.m. Thursday, is not a lockdown measure, the mayor said. Los Angeles County residents will be able to get groceries, seek medical care and take walks around the neighborhood.

All noncritical in-person business operations must also close.

Businesses under one of the 16 federally defined critical infrastructure sectors, including hospitals, banks, groceries and news media, will be allowed to remain open through both state and county orders. Those that continue to operate must adhere to social distancing and hygiene guidelines, including providing customers with hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol.

“If we can slow the spread, we can buy days,” Garcetti said. “And when we buy those days that means that we can get ventilators. And we can get beds and kits and masks and tests, and this will save lives.”

The orders come after six Bay Area counties announced “shelter in place” orders Monday, keeping San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Mateo, Marin, Contra Costa and Alameda counties’ residents home until at least April 7.

Jintak Han | Former senior staff photojournalist and news reporter
Jintak Han is a former senior staff photojournalist and news reporter who graduated in 2020. He served as an Assistant Photo editor from 2016 to 2017. Working at the Bruin through his entire undergraduate career since 2014, Han has won national recognition and numerous awards for his photojournalism. He is also known for his investigative reporting for the City & Crime beat. Han currently works as a freelance photojournalist and reporter for multiple news organizations.