USAC approves calendar for spring 2020 elections at meeting

The Undergraduate Students Association Council approved the spring election calendar Tuesday, which included dates for campaigning, voting and result announcements. (Xuxin Zhang/Daily Bruin)

By Marilyn Chavez-Martinez

Correction: The original version of this article incorrectly states that campaign packets are due five days earlier than the 2019 spring election. In fact, candidates have five additional days to canvass for signatures compared to the 2019 spring election.

This post was updated Feb. 13 at 9:27 a.m.

Undergraduate students can vote for their future student government leaders from May 4-8, student government leaders decided Tuesday night.

The Undergraduate Students Association Council, UCLA’s undergraduate student government, approved the spring election calendar, including dates for voting, campaigning periods, debates and results.

USAC manages nearly $9 million in funding per year. Every undergraduate student pays more than $1,000 in fees to USAC during at least four years at college.

A new council is sworn in every spring after weeks of campaigning. The USA Elections Board manages the election and monitors campaign regulations.

USA Elections Board chair Navi Sidhu, who submits the election code for board approval, proposed the 2020 election calendar include more on-campus campaigning time than the 2019 election, increasing the on-campus leafleting by three days. Social media campaigning is also set to increase by five days compared to last year.

Additionally, the campaign packets candidates must submit in order to run are scheduled to be be made available March 13, increasing the time candidates have to canvass for signatures by about five days compared to the 2019 spring election.

This election cycle:

• The candidate packets will be available Feb. 18.
  • Candidate packs are due March 13.
  • The election board will present the ballot April 7.
  • The election board will host two events to meet candidates, one April 15 at 6 p.m. and another April 22 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The board is still deciding locations.
  • Online campaigning begins April 22 at 8 a.m.
  • Candidates can post campus signboards April 27.
  • Candidates can campaign on campus starting April 29.
  • Candidates can participate in a public debate April 30.
  • Voting will begin on MyUCLA on May 4 at 8 a.m. and end May 8 at 1 p.m.
  • Results will be announced May 8 around 5 p.m.
Marilyn Chavez-Martinez | News and outreach senior staff
Chavez-Martinez was the 2020-2021 Outreach Director. She was previously an assistant news editor managing the campus politics beat and still writes for the Daily Bruin news section occasionally. She is also a fourth-year English and Economics student at UCLA.