Monday, July 22

Professor convicted of conspiracy to illegally export microchips to China

Yi Chi Shih, an adjunct professor of electrical engineering at UCLA, could face up to 219 years in prison for attempting to illegally export electronics with military applications to China. (Daily Bruin file photo)

Correction: The original version of this article incorrectly stated Shih last taught at UCLA fall of 2007. In fact, Shih last taught at UCLA in winter of 2011.

This post was updated July 13 at 9:07 a.m.

A UCLA professor could face up to 219 years in prison for attempting to export electronics with military applications to China, according to a Department of Justice press release Tuesday.

Yi Chi Shih, an adjunct professor of electrical engineering and part-time Los Angeles resident, was convicted June 26 of 18 federal charges involving a scheme to obtain microchips and illegally export them to China.

The microchips, known as monolithic microwave integrated circuits, can be used in different types of military technologies, such as missiles and fighter jets.

According to the press release, Shih posed as a customer to obtain the MMICs from an American company and then shipped the microchips to Chengdu GaStone Technology Company, a Chinese company in the process of building its own MMIC manufacturing facility.

CGTC, of which Shih previously served as president, was placed on the Commerce Department’s Entity List in 2014, meaning it was marked as a national security threat and authorization was required before technology could be sold to the company.

Shih was also convicted on charges of mail fraud, wire fraud, falsifying tax returns, making false statements to a federal agency and conspiring to gain unauthorized access to a protected computer.

Codefendant Kiet Ahn Mai pleaded guilty to federal charges of smuggling in December and faces up to 10 years in prison.

Mai is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 19, according to the press release. A date has not yet been set for Shih’s sentencing.

UCLA did not respond to requests for comment.

The most recent records show that Shih was an adjunct professor at UCLA during the 2016-2017 academic year. Shih last taught a course at The UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science during winter quarter of 2011.

• Joe in Temecula

UCLA is too trusting. Scandal after scandal. A little more scrutiny is called more.

• Luis Gomez

Like seriously this school is getting wrose yet it’s still one of the top schools in Cali. Why do they trust there employees so much they should add more background check when hiring a new professor or staff.

• Ekansi

It is possible to simply quit yr tiresome 9 to 5 job and then start getting check per month approx 12000 bucks working at home. Let’s be real, no matter where you’re doing the job from, you’re still doing exactly that: working. While working from home you got Flexible daily schedule – you can take rests at any moment, feel absolutely no rush to hang up on your mates whenever they contact you, and have lunch at any weird time you choose, Forget crowds and heavy traffic – Absolutely no stuffing yourself into a rickety transportation tube, having people scuff your brand new shoes, or walking behind agonizingly slow people who apparently don’t understand what a straight line is, Much more time with loved ones -Take good care of a sick significant other at your house, be ready for your children earlier in the daytime, get some extra snuggles in with your doggo, or simply get some peaceful time to your-self! Here’s the best way to start>>> rundownsyrian.rzzv.com

• Annemarie

Everybody has desires to achieve however we somewhere wander off in this today’s fast paced modern world. Let’s acquire your dreams happen true by assisting you to gather atleast $38000 a month. An Online work that actually works for your requirements and earns for you. It gives you self-reliance to work wherever and have your daily life in your way. This gives flexibility to get a chance to meet your family and choice to attain all your dreams. The idea is tricky to have faith in it because its very high paying yet its seriously real. It is certainly not a fraud or scam but a good opportunity to simply turn daily life the way you desired. Online and make earnings. Give it a go and make that try really worth >>>> landmassvanilla.ballern.de