USAC recap – June 5

By Grace Morgan

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a livestream of the meetings on the USAC Live! channel on YouTube, which can be accessed with a ucla.edu account.

Public Comments

• Members of the Muslim Student Association promoted their annual “Fast-A-Thon” event, in which students of any belief can come together and fast in observance of Ramadan with the Muslim community

Special Presentations

• The Arts Restoring Community Fund discussed its work over the past year. It said there has been a steady increase in funding applications and funding awarded in the past year, and an increasing trend over the past six years.

Agenda

• The council allocated a total of $9,455 from the contingency programing fund to USAC and non-USAC groups.
  • The council voted to certify the 2018 USAC election results.
  • The council approved bylaws for the international student representative position bylaws. The ISR position passed in a referendum during this year’s election and will represent the international student community and other non-California resident groups on the council.
  • The council passed the guidelines for Art Restoring and Contingency Programing.
  • The council approved $1,788 in funding allocations to Kyodo Taiko for drum repairs.
  • The USAC Judicial Board swore in 12 2018-2019 council members.

New Council Special Presentations

• Internal Vice President Robert Blake Watson said that space was secured for the new Student Activities Center Redistribution Center, which will begin providing basic needs resources by the beginning of fall quarter.

New Council Reports

• Watson said he has appointed 60 people to his office. He added that his office has been reaching out to other organizations on campus in order to collaborate on the new SAC Distribution Center.
  • External Vice President Jamie Kennerk said she has hired 47 members to her office. She added that her office has begun working on a number of campaigns, including Bruins Vote, which aims to register students to vote. She also added that she met with University of California President Janet Napolitano to discuss various campaigns and policy.
  • General Representative 2 Bella Martin addressed the controversy surrounding her election and said she will work to prove herself to the student body.
  • General Representative 3 Eduardo Solis said that his office has hired 40 people so far.
  • Campus Events Commissioner Alley Madison said her office has begun working on events for fall quarter, including the Activities Fair and Bruin Bash. She promoted the Josh Peck event at the James Bridges Theater. She also added that her office will screen “Ocean’s 8” on Thursday night.
  • Community Service Commissioner Bethanie Atinuke Sonola said her office has hired 55 directors and staff members and will begin recruiting fellows and interns in the fall.
  • Facilities Commissioner Julia Ho-Gonzalez said her office has secured a flat rate of $4.99 within a five mile radius of campus for a UCLA students Lyft Line starting fall quarter.
  • Financial Support Commissioner Jay Manzano said his office has hired 29 people.
  • Student Wellness Commissioner George Louis Faour said his office hired his leadership staff. He added that his office has met with the chiefs of the farmers market to discuss collaboration with the office.
Grace Morgan