Pole vaulters, throwers take top-five finishes at Triton Invitational

Redshirt sophomore thrower Dotun Ogundeji notched the seventh-farthest throw on the UCLA all-time shot put list at the Triton Invitational in San Diego. Ogundeji threw 66 feet, 3 inches, coming in second to Nike-sponsored professional Darrell Hill. (Michael Hull/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Cameron Patterson

With the USC track and field meet just a week away, UCLA pole vaulters and throwers decided to get one last competition under their belts before their final dual meet.

On Friday and Saturday, select Bruins participated in the Triton Invitational in San Diego.

Redshirt sophomore thrower Dotun Ogundeji launched a personal best of 66 feet, 3 inches in the shot put – the seventh-farthest throw on UCLA’s all-time shot put list. This throw now places Ogundeji at No. 5 in the nation.

Ogundeji finished second overall, falling to the Nike-sponsored professional Darrell Hill who shot 69-2.5. Hill heaved the year’s third-farthest throw in the world earlier this month at the Rafer Johnson/Jackie Joyner-Kersee Invitational at Drake Stadium.

Ogundeji, ranked No. 25 in the nation in discus, continued his dominance with a heave of 187 feet, 2 inches in the discus throw, another personal best.

Freshman Marian Spannowsky came in second place overall in the javelin with a throw of 221 feet, 9 inches, making him the top collegiate finisher in his heat behind professional David Ocampo.

Redshirt sophomore Ashlie Blake finished in second place in the shot put with a throw of 54-10, a new personal record. Her throw is one-and-a-half inches short of former UCLA thrower Stamatia Scarvelis who holds the 10th spot on the all-time UCLA throws list with a mark of 57-11.5. Her teammate, senior Torie Owers launched a throw of 52-11 to finish fourth overall.

In the men’s pole vault, junior Riley Turner came in fifth place with a clearance of 14 feet, 11 inches, and on the women’s side, sophomore Melissa Maneatis cleared a 12-4 in the open-division pole vault to finish fifth as well. Junior Elleyse Garrett finished first overall with a mark of 13-3.5 in the invitational-division pole vault.

Cameron Patterson | Alumna
Patterson joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until 2017. She spent time on the women's basketball, men's soccer and track and field beats.