Saturday, May 4, 2024

Softball makes changes to lineup in preparation for Oregon series

Senior Gabrielle Maurice (right) was recently moved from center field to left field. Bubba Nickles (left), who coach Kelly Inouye-Perez said called a great athlete at the beginning of the season, has slotted into center to replace Maurice. (Amy Dixon/Daily Bruin)

By Lam Pham

Heading into Pac-12 play, No. 8 UCLA softball was swept immediately.

“Post-Utah series, we made some serious moves, and that is ultimately my job, to find the best lineup that is going to allow this program to succeed,” said coach Kelly Inouye-Perez. “There were some changes that needed to be made.”

Since that sweep by No. 14 Utah, UCLA has notched a 7-2 record – including series wins against No. 12 Washington and No. 4 Oregon.

Inouye-Perez has implemented changes across the board. In the midst of change, the Bruins have focused on their motto: good talent is flexible.

Freshman Bubba Nickles moved from third base to center field, former center fielder and senior Gabrielle Maurice has moved to left and sophomore Zoe Shaw has switched from left field to right.

“I try to put people where I believe can be their best and a big part of that was Gabrielle Maurice being in left field,” Inouye-Perez said. “We were getting beat in the outfield so because of that, we moved Gabby.”

Sophomore Brianna Tautalafua has relocated across the diamond from first base to third, replacing Nickles. Junior Madeline Jelenicki has shifted from behind the plate to first base, with sophomore Paige Halstead sliding into the catcher role.

Back-to-back series victories amid midseason adjustments has displayed the Bruins’ poise.

“We have confidence in every player at every position,” Jelenicki said. “We have confidence in the coaches.”

The changes have settled down, yet one key change is still in the works: the pitching debut of Nickles.

Nickles, yet to throw a pitch in her collegiate career, is no stranger in the circle. In high school, she posted career pitching stats of a 67-12 record, 1.05 ERA, and 809 strikeouts.

Fellow teammates Jelenicki and Shaw expressed complete confidence in Nickles’ ability to contribute in the circle.

“Bubba is training, she’s ready, she can do it at anytime,” Inouye-Perez said. “Just keep watching.”

UCLA aims to continue its momentum in Pac-12 play against Oregon State (19-17, 2-7). The Bruins will be traveling to Corvallis, Oregon, for their Thursday series opener.

Lam Pham | Alumnus
Pham joined the Bruin as a junior in 2016 and contributed until 2017. He spent time on the softball beat.