Album review: ‘4 Your Eyez Only’

(Dreamville Records, Roc Nation and Interscope Records)

By Roberto Luna Jr.

Hip-hop fans knew Christmas was here when J. Cole announced last week that he would drop a new album following two years of radio silence.

After the release of his double-platinum success “2014 Forest Hills Drive,” on Friday, Cole dropped “4 Your Eyez Only,” an album that explores topics he’s dealt with in the past – death, family life and race relations.

The album gets far more personal – and emotional – than his last, narrating the life of his fallen childhood friend James and presenting open letters to his wife and newborn daughter. Musically, though, the songs aren’t as catchy, nor do they feature any of the flashy beats like those on his 2013 album “Born Sinner” or “2014 Forest Hills Drive.”

The album begins with a song called “For Whom the Bell Tolls,” in which Cole sings about hopelessness and uncertainty, to the point where he contemplates death. He sings “Tired of feeling low even when I’m high / Ain’t no way to live / Do I wanna die?” The song foreshadows the album’s last and titular song, “4 Your Eyez Only,” in which Cole talks about his friend James, who knew he would be murdered the next day and was preparing for his death.

The second song of the album, “Immortal,” expands on the story of James’ and Cole’s teenage years, which are filled with crime, drugs and racial violence. Hip-hop fans will appreciate the song, since Cole’s bouncy rhymes are delivered with a clean flow. In the last verse, he concludes that the only way he can be respected and not “live a long life unfulfilled” is to die young, like famous rappers 2Pac and The Notorious B.I.G. Cole’s dark mentality equates star status with early death, a perspective that deepens the pathos of the album.

The album continues to explore death in “Ville Mentality,” in which Cole replaces his raps with spoken word, which adequately shows his exasperation with the problems his newfound success has placed upon him.

Cole’s spoken word technique follows into the fifth and ninth songs, “She’s Mine Pt. 1” and “She’s Mine Pt. 2”. He speaks over a soft piano tune in the first part to his wife to tell her how he appreciates her support, while in the second he addresses his baby daughter.

Through his personal lyrics, Cole is now more vulnerable, taking the time to talk about his immediate family. In “Foldin Clothes,” Cole raps to his then-pregnant wife about how he wants to do “simple things” to make her life easier, such as folding their clothes, as a happy and lighthearted beat and guitar plays out in the background.

The rapper’s spoken word songs showcase Cole’s growing maturity throughout the album. Whereas “2014 Forest Hills Drive” was about growing up in North Carolina, in 2016 he focuses on self-reflection, family and ways in which he can make his life more meaningful.

Cole returns to rap in the sixth song, “Change,” which continues James’ narrative. Cole talks about how he currently believes in God and ignores all the bad things around him for the first three verses supported by an upbeat rhyme scheme and female vocals. However, the last two verses flash back to when Cole was a teenager and thought participating in gang violence was the only way to be “the man.” But the song illustrates his change of view on violence after he found out his friend James was shot.

Cole recounts his experience with racism in the song “Neighbors.” He talks about how he moved to a predominantly white, privileged community but his “neighbors think he’s selling dope” because he is black and rich. He says he feels like no matter his accomplishments, he will always be viewed with a bias. This song relates to previous track “Immortals” and how poor communities are often associated with crime and drugs.

The album showcases Cole’s storytelling ability, as he’s able to tell James’ story using a wide range of techniques, from rap to singing to spoken word. After his double-platinum success, Cole presents a poignant and provocative project that keeps him on track as he continues to rise in the hip-hop scene.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.