Friday, Dec. 2, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf to put a lid on Gayley location

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf on Gayley Avenue, one of seven coffee shops in Westwood Village, will close around the end of June. (Laura Uzes/Daily Bruin).

By Kristen Hardy

The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf on Gayley Avenue, one of Westwood Village’s many coffee shops, will close in June.

Danny Hernandez, the store’s general manager, said the shop will close because of financial difficulties. He added store managers have not chosen an exact date, but they are planning to close the store the week leading up to June 30.

Hernandez said most employees will continue to work at other Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf locations, including the other Westwood Village location on Westwood Boulevard. He added he could not disclose what type of store would replace the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.

Jerica Johnson, a supervisor at the store and fourth-year sociology student, said she thinks it will be strange to leave after working at the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf for the past three years – almost her entire undergraduate experience.

Melissa Mesina, a barista who graduated from UCLA last year, said she thinks the imminent store closure was the push she needed to pursue a full-time career. She added she will be sad to stop working with the friends she has made there.

Johnson and Mesina said they’ve been informing their regular customers of the June closure. They added some regulars told them they were upset and confused by the change.

Riana Singh, a regular at the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and third-year Asian American studies student, said she wasn’t sure what coffee shop she would go to next year.

“I might go to Starbucks, but it’s crowded and cold,” she said. “Espresso Profeta is nice, but it doesn’t have (power) outlets.”

Singh added she would miss the community of baristas and the group of regulars who frequent the coffee shop, but she said she thinks the change might help her explore other study spots Westwood has to offer.

Kristen Hardy | News reporter
Kristen Hardy is currently a news reporter covering Westwood, transportation and Los Angeles.
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]