The Rundown: May 3

Senior Karue Sell and the UCLA men’s tennis team qualified for the NCAA Tournament when the Bruins took home the Pac-12 title two weeks ago in Ojai, California. (Kathy Chen/Daily Bruin)

By Korbin Placet, TuAnh Dam, and Claire Fahy

Check out a breakdown of the UCLA sports stories you might have missed this week.

No. 2 seed hopeful

UCLA is expecting both the men’s and women’s tennis teams to earn a spot in the NCAA Tournament when the selection committee announces the draw Tuesday.

The men’s team already qualified when the Bruins took home the Pac-12 tournament title two weeks ago in Ojai, while the women’s team will most likely receive an at-large bid.

Currently No. 2 in the nation, the men’s team is set to stay as the No. 2 overall seed in the tournament behind Virginia. Some college tennis experts, however, believe head-to-head matchups within the top 16 will affect some of the seeding, possibly affecting the Bruins’ seeding. For instance, North Carolina, which is ranked third, has won dual matches over Virginia and UCLA, giving hope that UNC could be the No. 1 overall seed. The Bruins do have the benefit of their record being better than the Cavaliers and the Tar Heels, but it would be surprising to see UCLA move up since its strength of schedule was not as difficult two ACC schools’.

The women’s team will make it into the tournament as the No. 26-ranked team. Generally, teams outside the top 16 don’t switch that much from their rankings, so the Bruins’ ranking will probably be their seed. This will be the first time in over a decade that the women’s team will not host the first two rounds of the tournament. Only teams in the top 16 host.

The NCAA Tournament is set to start May 14.

Three men’s volleyball players earn All-America honors

The American Volleyball Coaches Association announced its All-America list Monday and three Bruins – middle blocker Mitch Stahl, setter Micah Ma’a and outside hitter Jake Arnitz – were awarded honors.

Ma’a made the first team after being named to first team All-MPSF and Off the Block’s Freshman All-America team. The freshman is fourth in the nation with 0.49 aces per set and also broke the school record by serving 57 aces this season.

Second-team honors were awarded to both Stahl and Arnitz. Stahl was a vocal leader in his third season with the Bruins and was named AVCA Player of the Week following the season opening road trip to the east coast. The junior ranks fifth in the country in blocks per set and was also a finalist for the Ryan Miller Award, which recognizes the best middle blocker in the country.

Arnitz improved his hitting percentage by almost 100 points this season while leading the Bruins in kills per set. He was also named first team All-MPSF and earned All-MPSF tournament honors.

UCLA travels back east to compete in the NCAA Tournament starting Thursday.

Korbin Placet | Alumnus
Placet joined the Bruin as a junior in 2014 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the men's basketball, women's basketball, softball, women's soccer, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.
TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.
Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.