UCLA names law professor Jerry Kang as first diversity vice chancellor

UCLA law professor Jerry Kang will serve as the university’s first vice chancellor of equity, diversity and inclusion, officials announced Tuesday. (Kailey Rishovd/Daily Bruin)

By Katie Shepherd

University officials announced a UCLA law professor as the new diversity vice chancellor Tuesday, more than a year after an internal report found UCLA’s policies and procedures for addressing racial discrimination among faculty inadequate.

Professor Jerry Kang will serve as the university’s first vice chancellor for equity, diversity, and inclusion. He is tasked with focusing on issues of diversity, and will oversee two discrimination prevention officers who were hired in September 2014, the Title IX officer and about 20 diversity specialists at different divisions and schools on campus.

Former California Supreme Court Justice Carlos Moreno headed a report in October 2013 that found UCLA lacked adequate policies and procedures to properly handle cases of discrimination reported by faculty members. Chancellor Gene Block announced the creation of the vice chancellor position that December.

Kang and UCLA could not be immediately reached for comment for this article.

Kang started teaching in the UCLA School of Law in 1995 and also serves as a professor for Asian American studies. He is also associate provost and the inaugural Korea Times – Hankook Ilbo Chair in Korean American Studies and Law.

In an open interview with the campus community Feb. 9, Kang said he wanted to take steps to identify discrimination through statistical evidence and use scholars’ expertise to combat discriminatory behavior at the university.

Kang was the founding co-director of the critical race studies specialization at UCLA. At his open interview, Kang said he thinks implicit biases, stereotypes and favoritism contribute to discrimination at UCLA.

Block and executive vice chancellor and provost Scott Waugh made the final decision to hire Kang after a search committee consisting of UCLA faculty, staff and students suggested three candidates for consideration to the position.

Kang will begin working as the vice chancellor of equity, diversity and inclusion starting July 1.

Compiled by Katie Shepherd, Bruin senior staff.

Katie Shepherd