UCLA professor is the final diversity vice chancellor candidate

Jerry Kang, a candidate for the position of vice chancellor for diversity, equity and inclusion, answers questions from UCLA students and faculty. (Kailey Rishovd/Daily Bruin)

The final candidate for the diversity vice chancellor position said Monday he would take steps to pinpoint discrimination at UCLA by using statistical evidence and by having university scholars come up with ideas to combat discrimination.

The candidate, Jerry Kang, is a professor of law and Asian American studies at UCLA and has been a faculty member since 1995. Kang was the first chair of Korean American studies and the founding co-director of the critical race studies specialization at UCLA, an academic course that focuses on race and racism from a legal standpoint. Kang is the only candidate for vice chancellor for diversity, equity and inclusion who is from UCLA.

In October 2013, an investigative report headed by former California Supreme Court Justice Carlos Moreno found that UCLA lacks adequate policies and procedures to process cases of discrimination reported by faculty. In response, Chancellor Gene Block created the position of vice chancellor for diversity, equity and inclusion, whose task is to promote diversity and ensure an effective administrative response to incidents of discrimination at UCLA.

At the forum of about 60 people Monday, Kang talked about his experiences as a first-generation Korean American and said he relates to the problems underrepresented communities at the university have to deal with.

“I understand the challenges of what it means to be an outsider,” Kang said.

Kang said he thinks discrimination exists at UCLA because of implicit biases, stereotypes and favoritism.

“We are not actually treating people with the basic fairness that we are all committed to,” he said.

Summarizing his main principles, Kang said he would prioritize maintaining fairness, serving the public and holding people accountable for their biases.

“I have run into too many people who in their righteousness forget we are all fallible,” Kang said.

Kang mentioned a method he would use to scope out areas of discrimination at UCLA.

He said he wants to use empirical evidence to explain cases of racial or religious discrimination. For example, if people of the same skill level but different race earn different salaries, Kang would cite that as a case of discrimination.

When there is overwhelming evidence to suggest people are judged on more than their merit, Kang said he thinks the information cannot be ignored.

To analyze statistical data about diversity-related issues at UCLA, Kang said he wants to use the mind power of UCLA’s top scholars and create a group that would be responsible for solving discrimination-related problems. He added that he thinks discrimination is often labeled as a problem for one person to solve, when it is actually a challenge the entire community should understand and address.

Three candidates, Franklin Tuitt from the University of Denver, Octavio Villalpando from the University of Utah and Kang, are currently being considered for the position.

Block and Scott Waugh, executive vice chancellor and provost, will make the final decision in choosing the vice chancellor for diversity, equity and inclusion. A decision is expected in the spring.