Men’s tennis works overtime to prepare for third dual match weekend

By Korbin Placet

Forget and get better.

That is what the mentality has been for the UCLA men’s tennis team this past week.

The No. 10 Bruins (3-2) were working an intense practice schedule to forget last weekend’s disappointing face off against South East Conference teams Georgia and Florida where the Bruins came away 0-2 from the weekend.

“I knew this year was going to be a year where we are going to have to scrape by to win some matches,” said coach Billy Martin. “You know we are going to lose some tough matches. That is exactly what I told them after this last weekend. I don’t want anyone to be down, feeling horrible.”

Now, the team will play its third double-header weekend in a row facing the San Diego State Aztecs (3-2, 0-1 Mountain West) on Saturday and finishing with the St. Mary’s Gaels (1-4, 0-1 West Coast) on Sunday.

Last weekend’s losses are almost unprecedented for the Bruins. The last time the Bruins lost two dual matches in a row was in 2011.

“We really aren’t use to this, losing two matches in a row,” said junior Karue Sell. “It’s kind of a new thing. I think most teams go through that and we just haven’t before. I think (coach) just tried to calm us down, especially the younger guys.”

The Bruins said they took the losses to heart and have been working overtime this week to redeem themselves.

“We have been practicing a lot harder, like most of the guys have been hitting twice a day to work on some things that didn’t work in Georgia,” Sell said. “Everyone has been working on specific areas that are kind of weak. We can’t afford to have big weaknesses that can get exploited.”

Although disappointed, Martin said he is proud of the way the team has bounced back this week.

“(Coach) certainly wasn’t discouraged. If anything he is looking forward to the rest of the season even more,” said senior Dennis Mkrtchian. “He told us not to get down. We have only had five dual matches so we can’t get discouraged. It is a long season. We are going to find our groove and we will be where we need to be by the end of the season.”

The team said this weekend doesn’t worry them and that they just need to make sure they aren’t too relaxed against the two unranked teams.

“Any unranked team that comes to UCLA has nothing to lose and everything to gain and that is a dangerous mentality for us,” Mkrtchian said.

For UCLA, this weekend is just preparation for the ITA Division I National Men’s Team Indoor Championship, which starts the following Friday.

“We aren’t too worried about this weekend,” Sell said. “We just want to get back into winning, and to go into Chicago with two more wins. And we want to win not dropping our level. … (playing) down to their skill level.”

Proud Father

A notable matchup this weekend is that of father versus son, as Martin’s son, Will Martin, is in his senior year with the Gaels.

“It is exciting for me even though it is against our team. It just make me feel good to see him play college tennis and to see him in his last semester, getting ready to graduate,” said coach Billy Martin. “It just makes me really proud to see him and all that he has done. I am really looking forward to it and maybe a little sad that it is his last time here.”

Korbin Placet | Alumnus
Placet joined the Bruin as a junior in 2014 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the men's basketball, women's basketball, softball, women's soccer, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.