Q&A: ‘The Princess Bride’ star Cary Elwes discusses new book at CEC event

(Angie Wang/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Eileen Li

Romantic, adventurous and able-bodied, Cary Elwes’ character in “The Princess Bride” delivers a variety of often-quoted lines as Westley.

One of them became the namesake of Elwes and Joe Layden’s book, “As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales From the Making of The Princess Bride,” a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film.

On Tuesday, Elwes participated in a book signing and Q&A; preceding a screening of “The Princess Bride,” hosted in Ackerman Grand Ballroom by the Campus Events Commission. Before the event, the Daily Bruin’s Eileen Li sat down to talk with Elwes about the highlights of his book, memories of wrestler and co-star André The Giant and how Elwes chooses his roles.

Daily Bruin: Many students tonight will know “The Princess Bride” from their formative years. It holds a lot of significance for many people. What do you think it is about the film that gives it its timeless quality?

Cary Elwes: It’s because it’s a family movie and was made with a lot of heart. It’s funny and it’s a film about true love. You can’t really go wrong with that.

DB: How does it have a lot of heart?

CE: The director, Rob Reiner, has a lot of heart. Everyone’s hearts were in the right place.

DB: Your book was published quite a while after the film’s release. Why did you decide to release these stories now in particular?

CE: Well, it’s been 25 years and I had such an enjoyable time making the film. I wanted to share that with the fans. The book was written with a lot of heart, actually. We started off in the right place. I wrote it with a guy called Joe Layden and I also had the good fortune of having the filmmakers and the cast join me, sharing their memories as well.

DB: Could you give us one of your favorite stories from the book?

CE: It’s hard to choose. Working with André was always a joy because he’s no longer with us. Those resonate with me more now that he’s gone. I don’t want to give it away, but our first day working together was really hilarious. It’s almost worth buying the book just for that. There are plenty of others.

DB: When you meet up with the former cast and crew of the film, are there any stories from the shoot that always tend to be brought up?

CE: André, for sure, at some point. He was well-loved.

DB: You’ve completed a diverse range of roles, in films such as “Robin Hood: Men in Tights,” “Ella Enchanted” and the “Saw” series. Which of the characters that you’ve played so far would you say that you most resemble?

CE: Every character I’ve played has a little bit of me in them, or else I wouldn’t have been able to play them. But I’ve never played an actor. … Well, I played an actor and producer named John Houseman (in “Cradle Will Rock”). But I don’t think I’ve ever played a role that was very close to me, personally. I always pick roles that are very different from how I perceive myself.

DB: Why do you tend to choose these roles?

CE: It’s more fun. It’s harder to play yourself, anyway. I mean, do you really know who you are?

DB: How does acting help you learn about yourself?

CE: The more diverse the role, the more you get to stretch yourself. As a person and as an actor as well. You learn more about the human condition.

DB: You said in several early interviews that even before “The Princess Bride,” you were sure that you wanted to be an actor. If you had to pick any other vocation now, what would it be?

CE: Well, I just started writing, and I had fun writing the book. I’d definitely like to write another one.

Compiled by Eileen Li, A&E; contributor.

Eileen Li